Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

OpenBuilds CONTROL Software

Discussion in 'Control Software' started by Mark Carew, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Gofertpc

Gofertpc Well-Known
    Builder

Well that make sense! Thanks Peter. I'll give it a shot tonight and let you know.

2. Gofertpc

Gofertpc Well-Known
    Builder

That was it Peter, though I don't remember ever setting it in the first place.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  3. Adam Filipowicz

Adam Filipowicz Journeyman
    Builder

Curious if a XYZ Touch probe Wizard will be added by default (I realize a macro can be setup)

4. Adam Filipowicz

Adam Filipowicz Journeyman
    Builder

Also any way to allow Z raise during a pause. (as an option). being able to change a broken bit mid program would be nice in certain cases.

5. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Project Maker Builder Resident Builder

Adam Filipowicz likes this.
  6. Peter Van Der Walt

There was a good reason we don't allow moves during pause, but I cannot remember what it was... I'll get back to you if I recall, have to go look at some old comments in the code / old issues

7. dean3

dean3 New
    Builder

I am not sure if I am in the right place to ask. Total noob here. I just finished getting my machine together last night. I found this thread searching for soft limits. Is there a way to set those in control?

8. Peter Van Der Walt

Yes there is:
    Start CONTROL, connect to your machine, click Grbl Settings tab (assume you already loaded a machine profile), scroll down to further customise the default profile > Refer to gnea/grbl
    You'd have to make sure to set $20, but it depends on having $22, $130, $131 and $132 correctly set too. The Grbl Wiki is a goldmine of information, have a read through it for bedtime :)

9. dean3

dean3 New
    Builder

Thank you!

10. jamin35008

jamin35008 Well-Known
    Builder

Just watched the new Jtech install video. I have had mine up and running for a little while now using vcarve/lightburn and I never knew I had to remove the relay jumper but I have never noticed any issues either. Should I remove it now? What will this benefit?

Also I noticed that in the openbiulds control they switch to “Openbuilds 1010 with laser module” again something I never have done. Is this to keep the Z locked during the burn? Does it switch the machine’s 32 from 0 to 1 or 1 to 0?

Thanks!

11. Peter Van Der Walt

It will eventually wear out the relay, so it is good to remove it if you can. The clicking is also quite annoying when you do grayscale work. Of course if all you do is 100% power vector jobs it just clicks at start and end of a section.

It changes a few settings from the default LEAD1010 profile, to optimize for laser use:

jamin35008 likes this.
  12. jamin35008

jamin35008 Well-Known
    Builder

Will the laser module disable Z movement during the burn?

Can the replay be left out when going back into cnc mode?

13. Renato De Falco Spirano

Builder

Very new to laser engraving, very new on OpenBuilds world, very new in all this stuff..... Just assembled my laser engraver...runned some tests and I have the toolpath and various mark points on the surface. Can anyone help me in how I get rid of it? How can I configure correctly the machine to print only the image on the surface (the surface is a piece of wood - pinus)...tks

14. Renato De Falco Spirano

Builder

As I've said, very new on this stuff...problem solved configuring GRBL PARAMETER "LASER MODE ENABLE" as true.
    I think it's good to share because of future people struggling with the same problem

Peter Van Der Walt and Gofertpc like this.
  15. nrymaker

nrymaker New
    Builder

Hello, I’m trying to complete a rush job this weekend for knife order I got months ago since I now have my MiniMill working with a spring loaded diamond tip bit. Problem is that I paused the machine last night since it is loud until I can make an enclosure. When I just went to go hit the “play” button this morning in OpenBuilds Control, I was unpleasantly surprised that OB Control got disconnected last night for some reason. Now my question is if there is some way to get the machine to line up exactly to the starting point on my drawing and where it needs to be to align perfectly with the half finished engraving on a very expensive hand made knife?
    Any help here is very much appreciated!

16. Giarc

Giarc Master
    Moderator Builder

Is there an obvious point - like say the dot above an "i" - you can jog your engraving bit to and line it up into that hole? if so you could get it there, then go into your CAM software and make this the zero point. Then start the whole process over, or eliminate all the code up to where you paused it and let it run from there. Hopefully you did not pause in the middle of a letter because this would be an easy way to do it if it started a new letter in the engraving. If you did pause in the middle of a letter, then I would start the whole code over again. I have had to do this before and it worked, but it was not a small engraving on a knife.

17. nrymaker

nrymaker New
    Builder

Thanks for the help! I was not able to re-find the zero origin start point for that knife since I had already removed it from the fixture. I should consider making a fixture for each knife design but that would be hard since the MiniMill has a smaller workspace than the size of the blades. I made my fixture so that I can move the length of the blade depending on where the etching is going to be positioned. I'm also using an electro-etching machine made by another knife maker for me. It comes out really good now and the MiniMill with spring loaded diamond tip is helping to eliminate hours of hand work with carbide pens and dental picks that I was using before. All I have to do now is cut the design out with the MiniMill, etch it and cut, and etch a few more times to achieve the heirloom quality engravings I want. I will work on the fixtures as I progress further and share my findings here. Thanks for the advice on how to better save/find the home position for each job. Cheers! PS...If anyone wants to see videos of how I'm etching hardened tool steel then there is a lot of photos and videos on my IG FIST Blades (@fistblades) • Instagram photos and videos

18. Peter Van Der Walt

I always tell everyone, take gnea/grbl and give it all a once over bedtime read, that wiki is a goldmine of info that explains all these little things :)

jamin35008 likes this.
  19. jamin35008

jamin35008 Well-Known
    Builder

Hey Peter, if you get a chance can you look at post #1062? Thanks!

20. Peter Van Der Walt

Z moves come from GCODE? Depends how you have your CAM setup. Can use Z for multipass depth adjustment or skip Z if you don't want to. up to you
    Replay? Not sure what you mean by that?

21. jamin35008

jamin35008 Well-Known
    Builder

With regards to the Z question......This is what the vcarve laser post processor mentions:

"The basic concept is that you set up a tool in V Carve Pro (or other Vectric software) that has the laser parameters to it (the spot size is the drill bit width). Then, you draw in V Carve Pro (or other vectric software) to get the file that you want. When you make your G Code, the post processor will change all of the “retract” portions in the file where the spindle moves up to a laser OFF command. Viola!

Didn't know if using the Lead machine in laser mode would do something similar.

Regarding the replay question....its a typo....should say relay. This question comes from posts #1060 and 1061. I was wondering if I can leave the relay out when going back to cnc mode since its recommended to remove it for laser use.

22. Peter Van Der Walt

Not sure on VCarve, the Laser Mode in Grbl is Grbl specific (G0 = laser off, G1 = laser on - there is no LaserOn/Off commands) Not sure if the default Vectric posts handle that. OpenBuilds CAM, LaserWeb and Lightburn does. Relevant reading material: gnea/grbl

If you don't use the relay at all, just leave the jumper of yes.

23. jamin35008

jamin35008 Well-Known
    Builder

I did read that grbl page a while ago about the laser. Thanks for refreshing my memory!

I have been using Lightburn for my laser. If I'm reading your post correctly when using Lightburn G1 is being written automatically into any Gcode produced though Lightburn?

Sorry, with regards to the relay I'm not understanding what your referring to with the jumper?

24. Peter Van Der Walt

If it knows you are using Grbl 1.1 yes. It has support for the older Grbl 0.9 too which adds commands, but as you run Grbl 1.1, and tell it you are running Grbl 1.1, it'll do the right thing.

If you don't have anything hooked up to the relay, leave the jumper off completely: OpenBuilds BlackBox 4X Documentation refers

jamin35008 likes this.
  25. jamin35008

jamin35008 Well-Known
    Builder

Again....Thanks Peter for not only taking the time to explain but show where additional information is!

Its people like you that make Openbuilds the place to be!

26. Tony Barnhill

Builder

I've been using CNCJS for awhile, and this is so much better. I could drop all other software if I could figure out how to show the current spindle location after I load GCODE. I usually carve onto unique pieces of wood and I have to fit the design by jogging the spindle around to see if design fits. In CNCJS, after I load gcode, I can see where the spindle is in relation to the design. So I jog it over and make sure it's going to "land" on the piece correctly. I see it shows the spindle location while carving, just wish I could see the spindle location all of the time.

Thanks for making awesome software!

Batcrave likes this.
  27. Peter Van Der Walt

It was like that for a while, but it actually causes confusion for new users. They then think of the grid as "where it is on the machine" where the grid is actually just showing you the gcode, and where 0,0,0 is on the job. Setting 0 in the physical space on the actual material should be done with probing, jogging first, or offset from homing. More accurate

28. Tony Barnhill

Builder

Thanks. Can it be a preference to turn on and off? The material I'm working with can't be probed as it is unusually shaped. It is not square. The other method I've used is to use the laser to burn a profile line to make sure everything is in alignment. But seeing where the spindle is in relationship to the job is very helpful.
    Thanks for considering.

Batcrave likes this.
  29. Batcrave

Batcrave Journeyman
    Builder

So I've been playing with CONTROL lately - half out of long-simmering curiosity about what it's like to work within the OB software/electronics ecosystem (as opposed to just the nuts & bolts), and half - at Mark's urging - as the latest in a series of increasingly desperate flailings to set up a system that I'm confident won't stall on me the minute I glance away.

While I think I've found a few bugs, definitely accumulated a long wishlist of additions, and found myself swearing over a few features I feel absolutely crippled without (scaled-rate analog stick jogging on a gamepad, .000/.0000" DROs in inch mode, and @Tony Barnhill 's request for a live display of spindle position while jogging are all high on the list), I've been trying to keep my mouth shut until I can sort out how many are actually software issues (or actually useful additions) and how many are plain ol' PEBKAC issues... but this one has me afraid to go any farther - or, indeed, to try doing much of anything with the software - without addressing it.

The problem is the continuous jog (or at least I haven't noticed it on incremental yet). It would seem that under certain circumstances it takes the "continuous" bit just a little too literally, and keeps on going after the button is released (until either the full 1270mm movement is completed, or another jog signal or abort is received). Needless to say, this is not exactly a Good Thing.

It looks like it can be triggered on X or Z (but not Y, which is curious) by clicking/pressing & holding jog for a second, then (very) rapidly release-press-(re)release the same button/key. I've been seeing a lot of it, since the LMB on my CNC box's trackball has been getting a bit fluttery lately, but it seems to be more than just a debounce issue (and, for what it's worth, it happens both on Win7 & Debian Stretch, although I haven't tried playing with the Android jog app yet) .

The log when that press [hold] release-press-release happens looks something like this:
    Code:
    [22:46:47] [ $J=G91 G21 X-1000 F1270.00 ] ok
    [22:46:48] [ ] ok
    ...while normally a series of X- jogs would all just look like this:
    Code:
    [22:50:36] [ $J=G91 G21 X-1000 F1270.00 ] ok
    [22:50:37] [ $J=G91 G21 X-1000 F1270.00 ] ok
    [22:50:38] [ $J=G91 G21 X-1000 F1270.00 ] ok
    [22:50:39] [ $J=G91 G21 X-1000 F1270.00 ] ok
    [22:50:40] [ $J=G91 G21 X-1000 F1270.00 ] ok
    Based on my (thin) understanding of grbl & CONTROL's jogging mechanism, it executes a 50" jog (sorry, "1270mm" - still not clear on why it stubbornly sticks to G21s for these instead of using G20 when everything else is set to/operating in inch mode) when the button is pressed, and then sends a 0x85 jog cancel (which doesn't appear in the console) as soon as the button is released. In this case it looks like the [jogA], [cancelA], [jogB], [cancelB] that's input somehow gets munged into just [jogA] and... whatever produces the "[ ] ok", while smothering the two cancels and dumping their corpses down a an abandoned ground wire somewhere to bitrot.

The one other "this can't possibly be safe" issue that's had me on edge is the ability of "Enter" to start running a loaded program with no safeguards. I'm having trouble repro'ing it today, but several times when I've thought the console textbox had focus (maybe I forgot that I'd done something since typing my last command, or maybe that little ">_" icon just subconsciously convinced me it was a waiting cursor), I've entered a grbl command (say, a simple "$$") without looking & hit enter, only to watch the machine suddenly & quite unexpectedly launch into whatever toolpath was in the editor instead. While too many confirmation popups often just get annoying (like all those **** "lost steps are likely" alarms every time I have to stop something I probably shouldn't have started in the first place - any chance of muting those, redirecting errors to the console, or at least getting the option to clear them with a keystroke?), this is somewhere one would probably make sense (not for "run job" in general, mind you :eek: - just if it's being executed from Enter rather than an explicit click).

Conversely, a hotkey to jump straight to the console input line would also be quite welcome... As would a long list of other things that I seem to vaguely remember promising I wouldn't start going on about.

[edit: After writing all this and (briefly) entertaining the notion of poking around in the source, I found the git repository... which already has this listed as Keyboard Jog Bug #73. Although the fact that it's a six month old "Urgent" bug is a little worrying - is this a more tangled issue than it seems? Or is Mark just not paying you enough because he's a stingy ba "differently prioritizing key developmental resources"?]

-Bats
    (Fun Fact: "This can't possibly be safe" is my middle name. Batscraven Thiscantpossiblybesafe von Rotwang the Third.)

30. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

I had similar experience with bCNC with unending jogs that turned out to be the wireless mouse (I could actually see the button on the screen stay down after I released the mouse button) . I swapped to a wired mouse and have never had it again.

Steveathome likes this.