Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

OpenBuilds CONTROL Software

Discussion in 'Control Software' started by Mark Carew, Oct 8, 2018.

1. GeneLV

GeneLV New
    Builder

Hi all. New to CNC and just got Workbee put together and connected to my Blackbox and I noticed that the bit will get plunged into the material when I hit stop in the control software. Is there a setting that I can change to stop the plunging or have the z axis move the other way?

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Resident Builder Project Maker Builder

Can you post some video?
    Stop really does "stop" all motion... Something else may be happening? (Z dropping under gravity as $1=255 is not set?)

3. GeneLV

GeneLV New
    Builder

I'm at work so I'll get a video when I get home. It is not a gravity drop, it is Z actively pushing the bit into the material at least 1/4".

4. GeneLV

GeneLV New
    Builder

I'm also having a problem with circles. I tried cutting a 15mm circle and the machine was jerky and the circles were elongated so I read on another one of your reply's concerning that type of problem to set $1=255 and sent myself a reminder to check it when I get home along with checking screws, wheels, etc.

5. Peter Van Der Walt

Jerky tends to be driver current incorrectly set, or (coupled with your weird Z) loose wiring. For example just 3 of the 4 wires to motor making good contact. Check all your connections and joints

6. GeneLV

GeneLV New
    Builder

Thanks Peter, I will check all of the connections this afternoon. I did make a large cut yesterday that consisted of a 27" circle, 11" circle and multiple 2.5" circles and the motion was smooth. The jerky motion only comes when cutting smaller holes so far.

7. Peter Van Der Walt

Old/Slow PC having trouble sending rapid short moves?

8. GeneLV

GeneLV New
    Builder

4 year old Asus ROG G750 w/ Core i7, 24GB RAM, GTX 860M and running off an SSD. Should be more than enough to handle it. My main computer has an i7-9700k, 64GB RAM, 2070 graphics card running off an NVME but I'm not going to drag it downstairs to the garage.

9. Peter Van Der Walt

yeah fair enough (; not the regular "i dug my 15 year old laptop out because I don't want dust on my new one" we tend to see (;

GeneLV likes this.
  10. GeneLV

GeneLV New
    Builder

Peter here is a link to the video showing Z push the bit down when stop is pressed in the control software.

The jerking is better but is still there. Had to run my wife to an appointment so I'll get that video later.

11. GeneLV

GeneLV New
    Builder

Forgot to mention that $1=255 was already set.

12. sharmstr

sharmstr Master
    Moderator Builder

Is your Z motor current set correctly? Just a guess here, but if you have it set to high, the driver will go into thermal shutdown. With the bit still spinning, perhaps its pulling the Z axis down into the material.

13. GeneLV

GeneLV New
    Builder

I used the stall method to set the current. It does the same thing when I have it do a run without cutting anything and push stop. It always drops the same amount.

14. sharmstr

sharmstr Master
    Moderator Builder

Sorry. I failed to remember that this happens only when you hit stop. Hmmmm. Peter should be back online soon.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  15. Peter Van Der Walt

Paste the output of the Serial Log tab around the stop (it echos all commands, lets see if theres a z move there)

16. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

tick the 'smoothing' in the Fusion toolpath options, this reduces the number of short segments

17. Peter Van Der Walt

18. JacobE1988

JacobE1988 Well-Known
    Builder

What post processor do you use for this control software from Aspire? I searched and saw a few people say basic Grbl but nothing specific. I saw the shapeoko and x-carve PP in Aspire, should I just use those? Or do you recommend a different one?

19. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Use the grbl (mm) post processor.
    Alex.

JacobE1988 and sharmstr like this.
  20. Jeepguy42

Jeepguy42 Well-Known
    Builder

I've searched and didn't see this issue anywhere nor am I sure where to put the question.

I have my laser setup on a generic Sainsmart 3 Axis CNC/Laser Board and I've noticed an oddity that its doing when it starts to engrave and I'm hoping its a GRBL firmware change or a Gcode/OpenBuilds CAM Gcode change.

I generated my tool paths using the current OpenBuilds CAM GCode Creator. I then send the gcode to OpenBuilds Control v1.0.183. When i tell the program to Run Job, everything moves the way it should to get to the starting point. When it gets to where the starting point is I hear the laser fan kick on but it doesn't fully turn the laser on until after its already moved a few mm. This is an issue with really small moves as it may not even turn on before the move is done. This is happening at each move. It shuts off the laser when it gets to the end of a path so it can move to the next point so that it doesn't engrave while travling but that means when it gets to the next point it kicks the fan on and then has moved again before the laser has turned on leaving little gaps between the start and end point. The laser turns on a split second after it starts moving (1/2 a second or less I haven't times it).

Is there a setting in OpenBuilds Control or Is there a firmware setting I'm missing or a Gcode setting to allow an "X" millisecond delay before any/each move to allow the laser to initialize or is this something I'm just going to have to live with, with my particular laser?

21. Peter Van Der Walt

Some of the lower quality laser modules use a bad driver circuit that doesnt come on fast enough. Thats mostly hardware issue (replace module with a OPTlaser for example)

Delay: Not really something built in as its really a mess to workaround bad hardware
    You can edit the gcode and add 'G1F1\nM3S1000\nG4 P400' before every cut segment to try and turn on laser, delay in place for 400ms, then continue. Note untested, i don't have a ebay module anymore to test it for you, threw it away a year or two ago. Can't take that slow turn on, it also cannot do proper PWM so no grayscale engravings etc. Really worth paying a little more for a good one :)

[edit]: PS: May also be the controller, if the fan goes off sounds like its cutting power dead to the module. usually module is powered all the time, and you run a PWM or TTL signal to the laser driver... so also odd[/edit]

sharmstr likes this.
  22. Jeepguy42

Jeepguy42 Well-Known
    Builder

Thats what I thought but wanted to be sure. I'll test out the gcode line you suggested and test it. I'm using this more for fun so I'll probably just live with small gaps that I can easily pencil in. I'll just avoid graphics that needs excessive small movements if it doesn't work :)