Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

OpenBuilds CONTROL Software

Discussion in 'Control Software' started by Mark Carew, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Resident Builder Project Maker Builder

A Documentation setup for the software is on the near term todo list :)
    Similar to the Blackbox documentation at docs.openbuilds.com/blackbox with info for the software too.

Thanks for answering that one :)

Just appending, if its not OS settings, also be mindful of EMI (good usb cable with ferrite cores, good grounding)

2. jamin35008

jamin35008 Veteran
    Builder

Wondering about long carves. How do you guys and gals handle if something comes up where you have to leave the shop/house and go somewhere or if it's late and you want to continue the next day? Can you pause, turn the spindle off and resume later? If this is possible would you have to leave the machine powered and the laptop running?

Forgot to add that lately if I have a job that's going to be more than an a couple of hours or so I try to save the code so the jobs aren't more than about an hour each so that if something does come up or goes wrong I don't have to much to redo.

#602 jamin35008, May 27, 2019
    Last edited: May 27, 2019
  3. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Doing this hinges on having a defined home position. This means you either have home switches OR you always turn on with the gantry in the same place. This is how I do it. I push the gantry back and right and turn the Z all the way up and that is my home.
    Since GRBL remembers the G54-G59 offsets through power downs you can return to the job quitw accurately. I always cross check Z height before starting.

since there is no way to 'run from given line' this is best achieved by splitting the job into separate files and just stopping at the end of a file. otherwise you need to wait while soem lines rerun, or you need to hand edit the file to remove the unwanted stuff. This is tricky since you have to be sure about the Gcode you are reading and remove exactly the right stuff.

4. jamin35008

jamin35008 Veteran
    Builder

I became interested in what others here do for long carves after I read a post on Facebook about someone leaving the machine running all night on a 24 hour file. While I find that scary and dangerous it made me wonder if there are other ways to "break up" a job within the Openbuilds control besides splitting up the carve into manageable time pieces like I do now.

I'm kind of following what your saying David....this isn't like sending the machine to the work piece home is it? When in the middle of a carve would you pause it and then send it to your home and shut it down? When you come back power it up and zero the bit at the home machine and resume carve?

#604 jamin35008, May 28, 2019
    Last edited: May 28, 2019
  5. didiersee

didiersee New
    Builder

Hello I have a small CNC 3018 update and I can not configure Openbuildscontrol. My CNC 3018 does not have a model that looks like a proposed one in the software list.
    Could someone please help me?

6. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

not workpiece home, machine home. G54 stores the offsets from machine home to workpiece home, so if you always turn on in the same place then the offsets are repeatable.

What I would do is generate the gcode into separate files, roughing in one and finishing in another.
    Run roughing and then send the machine home
    G53 G0 Z0
    G53 G0 X0 Y0

turn off

turn on
    now a
    G0 x0 y0
    should put the bit at exactly the workpiece zero that you started with.
    check the Z zero is still valid (should be, but check)
    load the finishing file and Run.

I don't think stopping in the middle of a fine finishing pass is worth it, you may see a little bump at the restart point unless you are very careful, and editing the code for the restart can be a problem.

What is a much better plan is to optimize the finish pass cut time. There are usually a lot of settings in CAM software and though the defaults work some changes can make the code much faster and the cuts look the same in the end. For example in Fusion360 there is an option called 'smoothing'. when this is turned on the gcode has much fewer points in it and the code is smaller and runs faster. Technically you will be able to see the difference in a shiny surface like metal but in wood you just cannot unless you set the parameters to crazy values. I set the smoothing offset to the same as my step size of 0.025mm. Since the machine cannot take a smaller step the end points of any cut do not need to be at a finer resolution than what the machine can do.

So have a google for advice on your particular software and I think you will find a way to make cuts faster without losing resolution.

jamin35008 and sharmstr like this.
  7. Peter Van Der Walt

sharmstr likes this.
  8. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Veteran
    Builder

I have a weird problem with OpenBuilds Control v1.0.172 software. My CNC machine has XPro V3 board, separate stepper motor drivers, and desktop computer running Windows 10. The machine stops once in a while, the title bar displays "Not Responding" a few times, and then continue cutting until it happens again. I thought it was bad GCode generated by VCarve but it was not.

9. Peter Van Der Walt

PC Specs? CPU/RAM

VCarve files can be quite large, and theres a lot going on (streaming gcode in near realtime, parsing feedback, logs, 3D views, etc)

10. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Veteran
    Builder

My computer is an HP Workstation Z220. I'll find out the specs tomorrow.

11. WJC

WJC Well-Known
    Builder

Hi, I've been using this software for a couple of months now and I love it. But, I do have one question. I use an old cell phone as a pendant and it works great, but it seems to be stuck in inch mode and doesn't revert back to mm when I change the tab on the PC. Has anyone noticed this or is this just something on my end?

12. sharmstr

sharmstr Master
    Moderator Builder

I just tested and my jog widget defaulted to inch mode (I remember the main app doing that as well when inch mode was first implemented) even though my main app is in MM. Might just be an oversight that the jog widget wasnt updated with the ability to change views and update view mode when changed in the main app. I've opened a ticket here: No way to change mm/in views in jog widget · Issue #85 · OpenBuilds/OpenBuilds-CONTROL

WJC likes this.
  13. WJC

WJC Well-Known
    Builder

Thank you sharmstr. I am pretty sure this worked in an earlier version.

14. sharmstr

sharmstr Master
    Moderator Builder

Oh. OK. I dont use the jog widget.

15. Peter Van Der Walt

Oops yes, inch/mm never made it to the Mobile jog... Will add in the next version!

WJC and sharmstr like this.
  16. WJC

WJC Well-Known
    Builder

Great, thanks for all your work on this software. It gets better with every update.

Peter Van Der Walt and sharmstr like this.
  17. Peter Van Der Walt

sharmstr likes this.
  18. WJC

WJC Well-Known
    Builder

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  19. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Veteran
    Builder

My HP Workstation Z220 computer has Intel I7 3770 CPU, 8 GB system memory, and GeForce GT 720 video card. Due to a small PSU, I can't install more powerful video cards.

20. Peter Van Der Walt

v1.0.174 is out, should solve your issues. Have a great weekend all, see you guys back here on Mon!

WJC likes this.
  21. Peter Van Der Walt

Upload the file that locks you up too, so I can check it out for you next week :)

22. tbirdglenn

tbirdglenn Well-Known
    Builder

I don't know if this is the right place to comment on OpenBuilds CONTROL, but I have a safety issue with the software.
    I appreciate the changes in the latest update. I like having the Save button in the GCODE Editor.
    First problem (Safety issue): When in the Add or edit Macros tab, moving the curser with the keyboard arrows moves the machine. I may be missing the point, but in my mind for safety, the keyboard moves should be locked out when the curser is focused in any input window.
    Second problem: When the machine is stopped and you vacuum some of the dust, if you hit one of the limit switches by mistake, sometimes the Serial Console reports access denied. There is no way, short of rebooting the machine, to get out of the access denied mode.
    Third a request: Prior to buying my first BlackBox and using OpenBuilds CONTROL , I was using the USG controller. The GUI for the USG had a box to input the exact distance you wish to move the X & Y jogs. The 4 canned incremental jog distances in OpenBuilds CONTROL are nice in most moves, but it would also be convenient to have a box to input a custom distance for a jog move, instead of having to make several selections of the canned moves to travel a specific distance. The canned distances for the Z-axis jogs are acceptable, but a custom box for a Z-axis jog would not be frowned upon.
    Forth a picky request: Would it be posible to have the Port connection box default to the last port selected, instead of Serial Port COM1?
    The OpenBuilds CONTROL is a very nice controller, thanks for all your dedicated work.
    Regards, TbirdGlenn

23. Peter Van Der Walt

You are on the latest correct? 1.0.174?
    Pretty sure keybindings in macro editor was fixed a while back

24. Peter Van Der Walt

Access Denied comes from the operaring system.

There seems to be a wiring fault. You hit switch, shorting 5v to gnd. Controller goes dead for a few seconds. Windows looses the port. Power short clears. Windows cannot reunerate port as it hasnt closed yet. Check your switch wiring against docs.openbuilds.com/blackbox
    Suspect you have v+ wired to a dumb limit. For those use 2 wire wiring, pullups are onboard

25. Peter Van Der Walt

Use Continuous Jogging in the later versions

Go to your BIOS and disable the legacy comport com1

26. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Veteran
    Builder

The file causing "Not Responding" problem is on the computer at the program for mentally-handicapped people so I can't upload it until Monday.

27. tbirdglenn

tbirdglenn Well-Known
    Builder

I was using ver 1.0.173. I just upgraded to ver 1.0.174 and I get the same results. When in the macro editor, hitting the up, down, or left arrow moves the machine the amount selected in the incremental jog. The right arrow does not move the machine and the space bar does not run the gcode file.

28. tbirdglenn

tbirdglenn Well-Known
    Builder

Continuous Jogging does not allow moving a specific distance.

The laptop does not have a legacy comport and the bios does not have the option to disable a legacy comport.

29. tbirdglenn

tbirdglenn Well-Known
    Builder

Problem solved. Thanks to you I found a wiring error.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  30. Divvi

Divvi Well-Known
    Builder

Any reason this shouldn’t compile on a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B? I’ve followed the steps precicesly here: OpenBuilds/OpenBuilds-CONTROL

I do get some unverified package warnings which I force install using the --allow-unauthorized flag.

Also, npm doesn’t seem to be getting installed in the nodejs step. I’ve verified that nodejs 8.x gets installed, but npm doesn’t.

Using the latest Raspbian Stretch with Desktop image:
    Download Raspbian for Raspberry Pi

Let me know if I can include any logs to help.