Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

OpenBuilds CONTROL Software

Discussion in 'Control Software' started by Mark Carew, Oct 8, 2018.

1. sharmstr

sharmstr Master
    Moderator Builder

Cool. Take your time. Just curious. Thanks.

2. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

that will be a cool option! if you let me have your changes I will incorporate them and push to github

sharmstr and Peter Van Der Walt like this.
  3. sharmstr

sharmstr Master
    Moderator Builder

Will do. May take me a few days. I'll contact you offline about it.

4. DenD

DenD New
    Builder

Hello. I am excited to try this new beta software. I took your Hello World sample, and altered the size of the bit on each of the 3 tool paths and generated the gcode. I am a newbie, I was hoping to see some prompts between tool paths to switch out the bit? Maybe I am assuming too much in the Beta? Even if I were to edit the Gcode manually, I could not easily find comments by name where each tool path began? I liked an earlier suggestion of allowing each tool path to be separately launched, not all at once.

5. sharmstr

sharmstr Master
    Moderator Builder

Tool changes aren't supported. You need a separate gcode for every tool change.

6. DenD

DenD New
    Builder

Well, that makes it awkward. What about sending some comments in the Gcode file of the path name started, to enable manual editing to insert pauses? That shouldn't be hard for you to incorporate in the meantime?

7. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Resident Builder Project Maker Builder

Toolchanges are on the Todo, just give it a couple weeks: See Toolchanges · Issue #26 · OpenBuilds/SW-Machine-Drivers for the Issue Tracker (Will be updated there when its implemented)

DenD likes this.
  8. mrp192

mrp192 Well-Known
    Builder

Maybe i'm doing it wrong. But if I run my xyz touch probe at a .nc it will work. But wont work as a macro, as in it does nothing.

9. Peter Van Der Walt

Also already reported issue Z Probe: [PRB: responses should only be caught if send from our wizard, as users may want to probe in custom macros or from the console · Issue #54 · OpenBuilds/SW-Machine-Drivers

Always check the issue list: OpenBuilds/SW-Machine-Drivers for known issues if you get stuck - all those need time to fix :) less time I spend here pointing people at the list, more time I have to actually fix them (;

10. mrp192

mrp192 Well-Known
    Builder

Sorry about that. I never saw the link for the github.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  11. Peter Van Der Walt

That was fixed yesterday by the way - v.1.0.146 onward

12. mrp192

mrp192 Well-Known
    Builder

Awesome Ill try it out tomorrow.

13. jukeman60

jukeman60 Veteran
    Builder

Hi All
    Just finished putting the cnc lead 1010 together. yea
    when I select the x axis - on control software the motor goes
    in the wrong direction. all the axis do this. I have the blackbox to.
    wire wrong?
    mb

14. Peter Van Der Walt

Wire wrong (swop first two wires), or simply click Grbl Settings in Control, and scroll down to the Axis Inversion: Use the switches to invert (or uninvert) till it works the right way

dire.PNG

15. Dmhaes

Dmhaes Journeyman
    Builder

Trying to figure out what’s up with the control portion of the software on my pc. It works flawlessly as far as controlling the machine goes, but I find myself needing to close it manually via task manager, then reopen, in order for it to work after sitting idle for a bit. I also have to unplug the usb, then plug it back in for the software to recognize the controller upon startup. If I open the program with the usb plugged in, it won’t pick it up. I’m sure I have a setting or something wrong on my pc, what can I try?

Also on a separate note, is there a way to add a command for tool on and off if I have an iot relay? Or do I still have to control the spindle manually by clicking “tool on” or “tool off”? If like to have it shut off automatically at the completion of a job.

16. Peter Van Der Walt

Aww man, what OS are you running?

Any other PCs around to check with to eliminate the PC. Havent seen other reports of similar yet.

Tool On / ToolOff.

Yes in your CAM you should be able to add start and end gcodes. What CAM are you using?

Have it add M3 S1000 to the start, and M5 to the end

17. sharmstr

sharmstr Master
    Moderator Builder

Hey Peter. Getting app-update.yml not found error when trying to auto update from 1.0.144 to 1.0.147. I'm going to uninstall and install 147 manually. Just wanted to let you know.

upload_2019-3-9_10-37-17.png

18. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team

A note to all, note that the 'S1000' is important. The default is S0 and M3 S0 will NOT turn the spindle on. ergo M3 by itself will not turn on (until after an S1000 has been issued). Further, if you are using an IOT relay (or other relay) for spindle on/off then the only valid value is S1000 (with default GRBL settings). Any lesser number will cause the spindle enable to do PWM pulses instead, and the relay will not like that at all.

Peter Van Der Walt and sharmstr like this.
  19. GrayUK

GrayUK Openbuilds Team Elder

Is it just me, or, is this all just getting More and More Complicated as we go on??????? :banghead: :banghead: :( :(

20. Dmhaes

Dmhaes Journeyman
    Builder

It’s a cheesy budget minded HP, lol. It’s new, but it’s pretty basic. I don’t have another one to try unfortunately, I might be able to borrow one though. I’m using aspire to design/create the g code, then control as the sender. For the pc I’ve turned off all of the power saving settings, it doesn’t sleep or go on standby. I’ve fiddled around with different ports too but it’s the same story with the usb not being recognized until it’s unplugged and plugged back in. It’s not a big deal or anything, just trying to find out what I might be doing wrong.

21. Peter Van Der Walt

:) not a problem, thats how we find bugs, i love that you report issues. Its just to find those bugs it helps a little to play the elimination game too. Or at the very least we might think of a PC side setting or two. I'll think about this some more too. I assume Windows 10?

22. Peter Van Der Walt

Nope :) most software vendors have the correct M3/5 etcs in their Post Processors already, pretty standard stuff. Grbl specific post processors especially already cater for these

23. Dmhaes

Dmhaes Journeyman
    Builder

Yep, Windows 10.

24. ljvb

ljvb Journeyman
    Builder

Well there is your problem.. You are using Windows :)

Jokes aside.... Since there is a Osx verison.. should not be too hard to port the code to FreeBSD... hint hint devs... don't make me do it (besides.. you don't want me going through your code.. I do IT security vulnerability/code assessments for a living....)

25. Peter Van Der Walt

Unlikely (; too small a userbase.
    Also Add FreeBSD support to electron · Issue #3797 · electron/electron (no support in Electron)

26. DenD

DenD New
    Builder

I see the same problem reported too, although my new HP Laptop Windows 10 is set for Sleep. After waking, the Control screen is unresponsive and I must kill using Task Control in order start it over.

27. DenD

DenD New
    Builder

I'd like to suggest an improvement, maybe? In the image below, my CNC went out of control/bounds. My board was tight, not slipping around. It would be nice if the Controller Console Messages were logged someplace for recall. After hitting Emergency stop, I lost exactly where in gcode I was at to further investigate... I understannd too, once these are written, it becomes a maintenance issue of when they should get deleted. Thx Dennis

Attached Files:

28. DenD

DenD New
    Builder

I believe I have captured the problem... after a Websocket error, the interface is all locked up and needs to be restarted.

20190316_121528_resized.jpg

29. Peter Van Der Walt

WS Disconnected, means the NodeJS backend died, which would be related possibly to USB port errors (EMI) (When a serious USB error occurs we can sometimes get a crash from node-serialport that also kills the whole backend process - not something we can fix, the root cause is the USB port disappearing, windows being slow to release it, node-serialport thinks there is still a port and try writing to it (fails of course). Fix the disconnects and the software will behave

Refer to instructions here to run the backend with logging: Post #272 OpenBuilds CONTROL Software -> Second section about how to start backend in command prompt (we can also debug the backend)

Try catch a screenshot

30. Peter Van Der Walt

Logging the serial output happens on the SERIAL CONSOLE tab already.