Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

OpenBuilds Control PC requirements

Discussion in 'Control Software' started by EssDee, Jun 9, 2021.

1. EssDee

EssDee New
    Builder

I have been running control on an old machine (win 10). It works fine but the PC is slow. I have a much faster PC but I cannot get the software to run. The first click puts the software into the background (as is normal) but the second click (or clicking the taskbar popup) fails to run properly.

The application is clearly "there" i.e. The top window title bar is there, but the main application window is not showing under the title bar. The odd thing is that the application seems to have "snapshotted" the desktop because you can move the application window around with the snapshot (and the live desktop is underneath).

And, if you move the mouse around you get both arrow and finger icons, so it looks like it is hovering over (invisible) buttons.

I suspected a graphic/driver issue, so I just bought a new shiny graphics card (geforce GT710) and installed the latest driver. However, the problem persists.

The PC is windows 7 with 4GB RAM (which I have tested).

I am beginning to think that the PC is lacking some software components (or has the wrong revisions). But, I cannot locate the "minimum system requirements" for OB control. The software (V 1.0.275) installs without error as does 1.0.243 and also 1.0.303
    The software also runs (painfully slowly!) on an ancient Win 7 laptop, so that proves it will will run on Win 7.

So.....
    1) Is there a "minimum system requirements" detailed somewhere? (it is a shame there isn't a utility to validate the PC build level)
    2) is there any way to diagnose what is happening?

Just so you know, I think the the control software is terrific. I just want to run it on a faster PC!!

Thanks

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

It really doesnt need much, but as with all things IT, the newer, faster the better your experience will be

10 has better hardware compatibility with newer hardware. Plus, 7 is now officially dead: Windows 7 support ended on January 14, 2020 - its not a CONTROL requirement, but some device driver of your nice new hardware, may not care for 7 anymore.

Indicates WebGL/GL issues - ie graphics drivers or some subset of it. i.e the graphics subsystems of your PC isn't rendering the windows properly. As you also know it works on your other machine, its definately something on that PC

Pretty sure a clean format, Windows 10 and up to date chipset and GPU drivers will have it running in no time

Posting actual specs might help too :)
    What chipset, cpu, motherboard model numbers etc :)

3. EssDee

EssDee New
    Builder

Hi Peter, thanks for your input. After many hours .... it took a replacement motherboard, a new graphics card and a fresh Win10 install to finally get this working.

However, I am CNC-cutting again, thanks.

Is is possible - for the future - for the software to check the system specifications at the start of the install process, and perhaps to advise if something is missing or not of the necessary revision?

In any event, I am working with your kind help.

Thanks

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Negative, because there really isnt a blacklist of bad hardware.

It just needs an OS and working WebGL. The not working machines out there are a 1/100000 thing, and of those 90% gets fixed with up to date drivers. So what to check for? You could not locate the single driver version or hardware component that caused your graphics subsystem to fail either, so its nearly impossible to write code to test for that unknown.