Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Openbuilds Control feature request: Jogging hotkeys

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by brrian, Apr 11, 2020.

1. brrian

brrian Well-Known
    Builder

Is there a place for requests/ideas other than here?

Keys (+) & (-) step through the jog distances. it would be nice if it stepped into & out of continuous jog mode as well. I use a wireless USB numeric keypad with my machine & this would keep me from having to go back to the machine to change jog modes.

2. brrian

brrian Well-Known
    Builder

PS, I see you, v1.0.220, but looks like I can't have you yet...

PPS something else I've wondered about: Would a setting to require homing after connecting Control be useful? I don't know the answer to "what if I don't home first?" yet but I'd imagine something bad could happen.

3. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Log feature requests here

Depends on your workflow and habit. We'll never force it, each person has their own order of operations.
    Grbl does force rehoming when it looses position (hard limit, abort, etc) or after power up already

4. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team

it should be happening already since GRBL resets when anything connects to it.
    this should bring it up in an alarm 'you have not homed' state.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  5. brrian

brrian Well-Known
    Builder

I'll have to play with this - I've seen this message but I'm not sure in what situation. Thank you..

6. Peter Van Der Walt

7. brrian

brrian Well-Known
    Builder

Thank you - very, very cool that you already implemented the jogging hotkey request. I'm playing with 1.0.224 now & noticed 2 things:

1 - if in continuous jog mode, [-] brings you 'down' into incremental mode, but [+] does not take you back 'up' into continuous jog mode.

2 - the little gear icon to edit a macro isn't working for me. I can't get into my existing macros to edit & add hotkeys.

A thought about editing the macro - the gear icons are a small target & it's easy to miss & activate the macro. It doesn't look like you use right click functionality but maybe it would work here... right click & pick edit?

Nitpicking though. Control rocks & keeps getting better. Thank you again.

8. Peter Van Der Walt

I would prefer not to... incremental is the safe, stable, most used one.
    +/- should not take you into Continuous as they belong to Incremental.
    However if you are in Continous, and by habit press +/- well, then you intended to do an action you mentally associate with Incremental, so i switch you to Incremental, so that it works like you think you are going to work.
    Explained here Jogging Hotkeys: Include Continuous Jog Mode · Issue #121 · OpenBuilds/OpenBuilds-CONTROL
    Hope that explains the thinking behind it

Will push fix near end of the day for this. Good catch, in the meantime you can play with 1.0.225 beta from AppVeyor :)

It lights up red when you have it lined up good, hovering over the cogs. (;
    Will sleep on right-click, so far we have nothing with right click so kinda "out of place" in that sense.

#8 Peter Van Der Walt, Apr 15, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
  9. brrian

brrian Well-Known
    Builder

It does. I continuous jog all over the machine. Maybe just the type of work that I do? It seems odd to me that most people people would mostly stay in incremental. I'll give it a go & see what I think. Maybe a separate hotkey to get into continuous jog mode would be nice, but maybe it won't end up being necessary. Plus, you've been good to me & I don't want to press my luck.

The edit macro thing... you have to be deliberate with it. I don't use a touchscreen but maybe it's harder to do on a touchscreen. It isn't used often & for that reason I think it's okay as-is. I can be careful.

Thanks again!

10. brrian

brrian Well-Known
    Builder

This is in 1.0.226... did you just put it there or was it already there & I didn't know it?

11. Peter Van Der Walt

/ and * (refer to Wizards and Tools - Customise Keyboard Shortcuts) - added in 1.0.224 :)

12. Peter Van Der Walt

Best handled in github.com/OpenBuilds/OpenBuilds-CONTROL/issues - here on the forum it gets lost in the sheer volume of posts. In github, it gets on the list/rejected immediately/etc when we work on code/admin

We really dont recommend it as a touch friendly application, but as more laptops come with touchscreens users are pushing us more toward it. Slippery slope though, making every clickable thing the size of a fingertip at least, makes UI look cluttered very quickly.