Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Openbuilds Control doesn't move cutting tool during job

Discussion in 'Control Software' started by Jon Gassett, Jul 5, 2019.

1. Jon Gassett

Builder

Folks,
    I am having some sort of communications trouble with my new Blackbox controller on an Openbuilds C-Beam machine. I am using Openbuilds Control App on a Macbook Pro, everything seems to start up perfectly, and I can jog the motors both incrementally and continually from the OB Control app. (Ver. 1.0.179 with GRBL firmware v1.1g). It also appears to load the g-code. However, when I run a job, the toolhead rotor spins up but does not move along the x, y, or z axis, although the 3-D viewer is showing movement along the toolpaths and the app seems to be cycling through the G-code. Any thoughts on why the toolhead would move with the jog function or a direct G-code command entry, but not to the G-code from a project? It doesn't even respond to the "Hello World" example supplied in OB CAM G-code generator. Any help is appreciated!

2. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Thermal shutdown of the motors? Are you getting red ! on the blackbox next to the motors?

With that said, its probably EMI. Do you have ferittes on your usb cable? When you are jogging around, is your router on? If not, try that since that seems to be the difference. Or try running your job with the router off (obviously either remove the router or the bit or move your Z 0 up).

After troubleshooting a bit, report back with your grbl settings. Copy and paste into a text file and attach to response.

3. Jon Gassett

Builder

Thanks for the quick response! Just a quick check and discovered that the toolhead will NOT jog when the spindle is running. But it WILL jog when I switch the spindle off. No overloads that I can see, and the x-y-z movement is immediately responsive when once I turn the spindle off. Conversely, the toolhead will execute the appropriate toolpath movements as long as I first remove the g-code that turns the spindle on. I have attached the current settings for my machine. Where do I go next?

Attached Files:

4. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team

That's EMI then. Is your router power cord running next to the motor wires? If so, move it. Again, do you have a feritte on your usb cable?

5. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team

Also, your settings look good except that you haven't calibrated your steps per mm. Though not at all related to your issue, you should run through the calibration wizards in the Wizards and Tools menu. If you dont, your first cut that you're trying to do wont be accurate.

6. Jon Gassett

Builder

The power cord and data cable were in close proximity. I relocated the USB, and it still didn't help. I also place a ferrite from another cord on the USB and that didn't help either. I did notice that if I unplug the router power and run a job, the blackbox stops working until I push the reset. Likewise if I try to run a job with the router switched off. The only thing that seems to allow it to run the toolpaths for a job is to remove the g-code line that turns the spindle on. I plan to calibrate as soon as I get this other critical bug worked out. Thanks for any additional thoughts!

7. Jon Gassett

Builder

I also tried another usb cable but that didn't help either.

8. Gary Caruso

Gary Caruso OpenBuilds Volunteer
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

What router are you using? is it a mini router or DC motor or VFD spindle type? How are you controlling and powering the motor?
    Gary

9. Jon Gassett

Builder

It is a Dewalt DWP611 pony router powered via a switchable power source (from Openbuilds) that is controlled by the Blackbox. Power supply is a 24v Meanwell, also from Openbuilds.

10. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team

Any clues in serial log tab?

Play the elimination game: unplug IOT relay from BlackBox (in case that side is wired wrong), or unplug mains to relay, or router from relay etc in turn. Do some air cutting and determine when it works and when it doesnt.

11. Peter Van Der Walt

Also, is your Meanwell 24v PSU plugged directly into mains. Or on one of the ports on the IOT Relay? (as for example if you plug your PSU into Normally ON by mistake, remember that socket turns OFF when it gets a signal). If you can, prefer to plug the Meanwell directly into mains. If you have to plug it into the IOT, be sure to use the Always On one

Gary Caruso and sharmstr like this.
  12. Jon Gassett

Builder

Thanks, Peter and everyone! Sometimes it's the simplest things that are overlooked! The router was plugged into the Normally On rather than Always on Side of the IoT switch. It appears to be working properly now!

sharmstr likes this.
  13. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team

14. Peter Van Der Walt

:) yay! Glad you are up and running.