Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

OpenBuilds Control and RPi

Discussion in 'Control Software' started by John Davies, Jun 18, 2019.

Tags:
  1. John Davies

Builder

Hello All, I would like to know if anyone has had any success running the Openbuilds Machine Control software on Raspberry Pi. I would like to replace my laptop with a RPi and a 7" touchscreen dedicated to running the machine control program. I have tested many control programs and Openbuilds is by far one of the best.

2. sharmstr

sharmstr Master
    Moderator Builder

Its possible but its unsupported. There are a few of us working out some issues with it, but its not ready from prime-time. I would also suggest using at least a 10" screen (or test out a 7" screen connected to a desktop) before you commit to a 7" screen.

I ran a RPi for several months and have recently switched to a mini pc connected to a 10" touchscreen I had laying around: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D77W8CZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For an all in one solution, Peter (they guy who is responsible for OB Control) uses one of these: PiPO X10 TV Box 10.8 Inch Mini PC Windows 10 & Android 5.1 US Plug

If you really want to run on a PI, there are some unofficial AND unsupported directions in the wiki OpenBuilds/OpenBuilds-CONTROL

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  3. John Davies

Builder

Thanks for the reply sharmstr. When you ran RPi did you have good results during the trial. I already have a RPi 3 B+ with a 7" screen and was hoping that it would run reasonably well with the openbuilds control software as I would like to remove my laptop from the dusty workshop environment.
    John

4. sharmstr

sharmstr Master
    Moderator Builder

It did. Then it didnt. Then it sort of did. Like I said, there are a few of us working it out, but there's no ETA on when that will happen and there (at this point) is no plan to ever support it. You can do 90% of what you need to do using the jog widget with your phone. Hide your laptop under the table or elsewhere to give it a bit more protection from dust and use your phone to control.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.