Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

OpenBuilds CAM plasma lead-in cutting through middle of parts

Discussion in 'Control Software' started by IanCaz, Dec 27, 2020.

1. IanCaz

IanCaz New
    Builder

Hey guys, I'm using 09 Dec 2020 build of OpenBuilds CAM. When choosing "Plasma: Vector (path outside)" as the Type of cut & setting the "Plasma: Lead-In Distance" to more than 0, I'm occasionally seeing the toolpath moving across the middle of my parts.

I've attached an obs from my office PC (not configured quite like my CNC PC), but pretty close. I am seeing this on both machines.

I've attached a screenshot, an .obs and the .gcode files with this problem.

Thanks,
    Ian

Screenshot (orange circles show error):
    Lead-In cutting parts off-2020-12-27.png

Attached Files:

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

The lead-in is a point offset toward the inside from first point in your vector. Eventually we want to add a way to drag the lead-in point around, but for now, on some vectors you might have to use no lead in

3. IanCaz

IanCaz New
    Builder

Yeah, "back in the day" I used sheet-cam, so I'm familiar with lead-in and on the inside paths it appears to be working great. It's just not working so great on all of the outside paths (but some are fine). The confusing part to me was that if I set it the lead-in to 5mm, the lead-in cut was quite a bit longer than 5mm on several of the ones I was having issues with. It almost appears that a calculation (or reference) was off on the point it was calculating the lead-in from.

Either way, I figured I'd mention it here, in case it needed looking into. Keep up the great work!!!

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  4. IanCaz

IanCaz New
    Builder

Okay, this is *not* definitive, put upon playing with values further, it appears this is only an issue if the lead-in path crosses another path, or goes beyond the work area. If there is room, this renders correctly.

Setting lead-in distance to 2mm, doesn't seem to produce a lead-in, but setting it to 3mm appears to work correctly for the job I'm currently working on.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  5. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

@calou and @Dennis Langhoff and @IanCaz , i've pushed some testing code that may help - sorting the lead-in paths offset vector to find the point closest to the actual starting point of the cut vector, and injecting that point directly in front. Give it some testing and let me know if it improved the situation for you.

Remember to force-refresh your browser to get the latest code running (Ctrl+F5, Shift+F5)