Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

OpenBuilds Cam Help

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Justin Shaner, Jan 4, 2022.

1. Justin Shaner

Builder

I started programming my first job for my Lead 1515, which isn't hooked up yet, but figured I could still do the programming. I program CNC at my full time job with BobCAD and have used Enroute as well, so I figured this wouldn't be too hard.

I have the DXF imported (found out that it doesn't like circles, so I fixed that and reimported it) and all of the tool paths created. There were no errors presented when doing the tool paths, but it doesn't actually show the tool paths and it doesn't create any G code.

Is there a helpful step by step guide to programming with the OpenBuilds Cam software? What could I be doing incorrectly that it isn't giving me any actual tool paths or G code? Work space is attached for reference.

Attached Files:

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

OpenBuildsCAM chokes on your start-end depth values

Cut depth = distance below zero to stop cutting (you set it to 9)
    Advanced: Cut depth Start = usually 0 (cut from top of material down). You have 18.5mm in there. So that's 18.5mm below zero.

upload_2022-1-5_21-9-25.png

You can't start at -18.5, then cut "down" to -9 as -18.5 is already below -9. That's the wrong way round. CNCs are substractive, start at higher values, subtracts material down to more negative Z values. 3D printers start on small/0 values, and add material as Z moves in positive direction.

I think you were trying something like zeroing on the spoilboard? Not really something we directly support, zero on top of the stock, use 0 for start depth, and enter the stock thickness into cut-depth.

Cut-Depth Start is meant more for those pocket-inside-a-pocket cuts - avoids aircutting stock thats already removed. Think first milling a hexagon hole for a bolt head, 6mm deep. Then for the pocket operation to mill out the round hole for the threaded section of the bolt, you'll start that at "a depth of 6mm" - so the pocket starts in the bottom of the previous pocket.

upload_2022-1-5_21-5-46.png

Note the phrasing. "Depth", not "Z value". A depth of 18.5mm or 6mm in the example above with the bolt head - implies how deep below the origin that would start / end.

3. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Here's how'd have set it up. 3mm deep dados, 9mm deep pockets for score towers, 18.5mm stock thickness for cutout and through pockets.
    Workspace attached

upload_2022-1-5_21-15-52.png

Attached Files:

Giarc and sharmstr like this.
  4. Justin Shaner

Builder

Much appreciated on the explanation on how you'd advise programming this! Definitely a little bit different than how I am used to programming, but shouldn't be too hard to pick up on. Thanks again!

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.