Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

OpenBuilds APEX Controller

Discussion in 'Controller Boards' started by MaryD, May 4, 2017.

1. Josh B

Josh B Well-Known
    Builder

That was a close one Mark Carew, you swooped in just in time! The OB'ers are getting restless. I may be egging them on a little

Mark Carew likes this.
  2. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

NP man we feel the same way as its been a long road on our end as well :) All is good. We hope to have that more detailed update posted for you guys tomorrow.

Josh B, Scotty Orr and Kyo like this.
  3. jukeman60

jukeman60 Well-Known
    Builder

thank you mark..... did I read more detailed update coming today!!!!!!! this is awesome, colossal, and most riveting!!!!!
    I am so happy for the openbuild team. You all work so hard and I am sure pulled out so much hair in the process.
    I am also happy for the openbuild community who kept the excitement going and cheering the home team on. I see the light at
    the end of the tunnel. have a great weekend everyone.
    matt

cncshane likes this.
  4. cncshane

cncshane New
    Builder

I live 30 mins from Windsor and saw lots of crowds and bunting,could not figure why and now I know why!!
    Brilliant news and obviously there has been
    a rumour leak !

5. NthAxisWorkshop

Builder

Woohoo! Haven't been this excited over an upcoming hardware release since the Pentium! ... Did I miss it?

6. Mark Carew

You guys are awesome! We can't thank you enough for the positive attitudes, excitement and most of all your patience.

A change of direction for Apex

About 1 year ago, the OpenBuilds Team announced working on a new CNC controller, the Apex.

Over the following months, it was progressing nicely. About this time, however, technology began leapfrogging the plans we had in place and after many months of hard work it became apparent we needed to put Apex on hold (for now) and get ahead of the game utilizing the new incredible technologies at our disposal.

OpenBuilds always strives to push the boundaries of technology and in this case pioneer amazing new solutions.

The OpenBuilds community needs more than just another controller - we needed a complete modular electronics system that is as user friendly as the OpenBuilds mechanical system itself and so we rolled up our sleeves and dug in!

With new tech comes exciting new prospects and goals:

• An Ecosystem, not just a product: The new system evolved around a set of subsystems that cover more than just control and also more than just CNC type applications (more about this later). The Ecosystem was planned from the very start to make it super easy, almost plug-and-play for most users, thereby entry for new users is significantly improved. The new ecosystem had to cater to the hackers’ needs too so we made sure to include the interests of the hackers-by-heart! (; No crimping required which is going to make everyone happy!

• Cover the use case of 99% of our users: From our own experiences and through many discussions and support requests, we had clear knowledge of EXACTLY what users need! We upgraded to 4 super powerful smart axes onboard (with expansion headers for a future upgrade) and we made sure to include all the IO you will ever need.

• Mounting: Probably half of our energy went into ensuring that this system is going to be a dream to mount onto your machine.
      -V-Slot Linear Rail compatible mounting patterns
      -Clearly and neatly labelled indicator LEDs so you never have to guess again
      -Meticulous planning for where your hands need access, which buttons and switches needs to be within easy reach and all the way down to planning for which side motor wiring exits versus where USB enters to eliminate as much inconvenience in wiring your machines as we can.
      -Logical wiring bundles at last!
      -Also, we made sure its Enclosed: No more bare-boards exposed to the elements! Because it has to look great too! This is one sexy controller!

• Technology: Pushing the envelope of newly available cutting-edge technologies as far as possible, allows us to provide a tomorrow’s controller, today!

• Easy! Choice! Freedom! - We also went over and over the decision of which platform/firmware to support. We really wanted to make sure to offer users choices when it comes to firmware without compromising ease of use and stability. You won’t be locked into a single firmware!

• Bullet-proofing: Testing included doing things to the beta controllers, that should probably be considered controller-abuse but we had to make sure it would never let you down!

What does this mean for the contest winners? – You can be sure the contest winners will be getting theirs right from the top!

Where can we talk and learn about about the new controller? – Although all of the new controller’s specs aren't available to be released just yet we are able to reveal its name…
    We call it the OpenBuilds BlackBox!

There is a new Blackbox thread started here for discussions and updates - https://openbuilds.com/threads/blackbox-motion-control-system.12310/

What’s the ETA? – At this point we have been though many many many iterations (pics to come) and countless prototypes testing and experimenting with brand new concepts that are ground breaking in this field. Although there is no exact ETA as of yet, we can say that we are in the final prototyping stage!

Please know we are working hard and we are super excited to get these into your hands as soon as possible!

#156 Mark Carew, May 19, 2018
    Last edited: May 19, 2018
  7. Scotty Orr

Scotty Orr Journeyman
    Builder

I'm nearly speechless....

Mark Carew likes this.
  8. Josh B

Josh B Well-Known
    Builder

Your killin' me smalls!

9. stargeezer

stargeezer Journeyman
    Builder

After spending almost the first half of the year in the hospital (2 months in ICU, 3 surgeries), I was certain that the Apex would be ready to order! I am certain that without my orders each month that Parts Store invoices been down a wee bit. :) I'm planning to place a parts order soon since I've filled a sketchbook with build ideas.

The really good news is I'm now doing well physically and I'm ready to order a Apex and a bunch of C-Beam to build a CNC Lathe I've dreaming about while watching Battle Bots reruns.

To all my friends who called and emailed, thanks for all your thoughts, and prayers, they all counted.
    Larry

Kyo, Mark Carew and Josh B like this.
  10. GrayUK

GrayUK Openbuilds Team Elder
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Good to hear from you stargeezer. :D
    You really need to keep out of those places. :banghead: :D

Josh B likes this.
  11. Mark Carew

Welcome back brother @stargeezer great to hear your back on your feet and ready to Build! I am looking forward to a lathe design, it's been in the back of my mind to make one.
    We love watching Battlebots! Side note; Witchdoctor reached out to OpenBuilds about a possible future sponsorship! Exciting stuff ahead there :)
    As always thank you for your support

12. GingerBeard

Builder

The people who suggested the name APEX won something what about the people who suggested Blackbox?

13. Adam Filipowicz

Adam Filipowicz Journeyman
    Builder

Why the name change ?

14. AcklenX

AcklenX New
    Builder

... I learned I have an unreasonable desire for it... And a desire to stay tuned to learn exactly what it is.

Charles Roseberry and Josh B like this.
  15. Rolando Ortiz Jr.

Builder

Ahhh. If only he had "clicked" through to the end of the click-bait post. The link to the new thread is right there. This one is teetering on the edge of the flames. Get your answer on the Black Box thread...

Charles Roseberry and Josh B like this.
  16. Rolando Ortiz Jr.

Builder

Oh, is it ok if I buy a BlackBox and call it an Apex? ;)

zencuke and Josh B like this.
  17. Josh B

Josh B Well-Known
    Builder

Hey guys, lighten up! Nobody here pre-ordered or sent money for a new controller! I'm just as excited and just as impatient as everyone else but Mark and the OB team do not owe us anything, certainly not the reasoning behind their executive decisions. Just saying!
    BTW, these guys are a smart bunch so I'm sure the ramifications of the name change are being discussed .

JB

18. Rolando Ortiz Jr.

Builder

19. cncfan

cncfan New
    Builder

Had gotten away from all things CNC and just recently took an interest again.
    Saw the email Mark sent out about a new controller board and that got my interest.
    Not sure what they have in mind but I would like to see a board that you could hook up
    multiple machines at the same time. It would be nice to be able to hook up a 3D printer and
    laser machine/router/lathe with plenty of I/O for just about anything you want to implement to the same board
    without having to swap cables depending on which you want to use.

Also have the ability to control and drive steppers or servos. That would be a big plus.

Looking forward to what's to come.

Charles Roseberry likes this.
  20. stargeezer

stargeezer Journeyman
    Builder

Right on Josh!

I've been offline for a while, for reasons I don't need to repeat. I for one have missed my friends here and I look forward to hooking up as we work through some new designs I've been putting together.

#170 stargeezer, May 22, 2018
    Last edited: May 23, 2018
    Josh B likes this.
  21. Charles Roseberry

Builder

Thanks Mark and crew for the updates!!

22. Charles Roseberry

Builder

Welcome Back

23. stargeezer

stargeezer Journeyman
    Builder

Hey Charles

Thanks Brother! And "Sempra Fi". I'll be checking your organization out tonight. Looking for a group in my area that has common ideals to serve with in my spare time. It sounds like a group I might share some common experiences with.

Be well my friend.
    Larry

24. pek

pek Journeyman
    Builder

Sounds like a smart move in the correct direction, congrat OB team! These type of decisions are very hard to take but it proves that you are loving what you are doing! Excited to see news about this blackbox!

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  25. malc

malc New
    Builder

how long have I got to hold my
    Breath!!

26. Scotty Orr

Scotty Orr Journeyman
    Builder

...not til you turn blue - but til you turn BlackBox! ;)

GrayUK likes this.
  27. malc

malc New
    Builder

:confused:

GrayUK likes this.
  28. Makerparts

Makerparts Well-Known
    Builder

Id rather wait and get it right :) then rush it out before its ready.

Peter Van Der Walt and MaryD like this.
  29. Ira

Ira New
    Builder

Wow, in the beginning it felt like a smoothieboard re-designed to easily interface with serious drivers and with better packaging and that would have been a really nice product. And now a year later it sounds like the same thing. With the cost of modern processors approaching almost zero, why 4 channels when 6 or 8 or even 10 would have been doable for almost no additional design costs. Just seems like the perfect application to have an connector on one edge of the board with an additional or stackable additional driver sections, comes with 4, but add on another one, two or three relatively inexpensive driver sections and a case extension and suddenly it's got enough channels for anything. Making it 4 channel with a way to get 2 more if necessary seems limited and arbitrary, I think in this arena if you give them the option for 10 channels, someone will figure out what to do with them and then we'll all wonder how we ever did without them. If you're going to do this, make sure it's out in front far enough it's not obsolete the day you ship it and sadly, right now it still sounds like a Smoothieboard in a fancy box. The time it's taken makes it seem like the people in charge of both designing and implementing the project and don't know what they are doing. If you'd shipped what you had a year ago, you'd already own this market and have the cash flow to be properly doing V2.

Ira

30. Scotty Orr

Scotty Orr Journeyman
    Builder

Wow Ira! Thanks for the valuable insight! You don't post often, but it was worth the wait. Hope to hear from you again in a couple more years. Or maybe a build.

GrayUK and Josh B like this.