Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Openbuilds 4x8 cnc

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Sam Keller, Aug 14, 2020.

1. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

The store advised this over a looped belt. With the looped belt its 6m vs 3m for a pinion style - less whip, less stretch :)

2. james appel

Builder

@SamKeller I was wondering if you'd be willing to share any photos or diagrams on how you have your 6pack/drivers wired. I'm working on a (close) copy of your machine and i'm getting kinda hung up there. I think I have it right in my head but maybe since you already have it functioning I can check my work against yours? Thanks!

3. Djarn

Djarn New
    Builder

hi
    I might seems ungrateful, but has anyone typed out a list of parts? I'm in a cast and would love to order this so I have everything by the time the cast comes off, but even just typing this has taken ages. It would help if I could copy/paste
    thanks

4. chuck english

Builder

Sam gave a list of parts( if your talking about the cnc router) on page 1 of this thread.

5. Sam Keller

Sam Keller Well-Known
    Builder

yes, there is a list of parts at the beginning but that list isn't exact, there are parts that you don't need on it. And I suggest using rack and pinion instead of belts.

6. Sam Keller

Sam Keller Well-Known
    Builder

Here are my pics for the 6 pack controller. I jumped the negatives together on the driver. I couldn't find my original documentation. 20230220_171634.jpg 20230220_171634.jpg

Attached Files:

7. Sam Keller

Sam Keller Well-Known
    Builder

8. Djarn

Djarn New
    Builder

I appreciate your reply, and I should have been more specific.
    Is there a list thats been typed out that I can copy and paste into search? my arm is in a cast and typing is very tyring. I can't copy and paste part of a picture into search.
    If not I'll wait till cast comes off.

9. james appel

Builder

Thank You Sam!

10. SailingBuild

Builder

If you were to re-build this machine would you still use the DUAL z Gantry Design? Was slaving the second axis difficult?

11. EvanH

EvanH New
    Builder

Hi, I am not sure about this machine, but I am just putting together a different build, with a dual-Z (i.e. XYYZZ configuration). The capability of the control board is a key factor in running two motors on the Z. I am using FluidNC for my build, and having two motors on Y, and another two on Z is trivial, with full independent control and auto-squaring being easy. The auto-squaring needs independent end-switches on the axes for homing, but again that is only a cost and cabling issue, rather than controller restriction. Other cnc controllers may need the servo drivers to be ganged to a single control signal (which risks getting out of sync if steps are missed), or a belt/chain etc. could be used for a mechanical link.

Evan

12. SailingBuild

Builder

It seems like the blackbox can only handle 3 limit switches, so autosquaring with that controller, isn't an option. I suppose that is why your using fluidnc

13. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

False. Wire Y2 in parallel with Z. Enable Autosquare in Web Builder. Simple actually :)

Blackbox v32 autosquare (or manual square)

14. SailingBuild

Builder

15. EvanH

EvanH New
    Builder

Yes fluidnc is not the only possible controller by any means. GrblHal as a prime 'alternative' code can support many options, depending on the underlying processor and board configuration.

My machine is a new design and I did not know how well it would actually work until I powered it all up.... For XYYZZ operation with true auto squaring on both Y and Z, you need a minimum of 5 input lines for switches, but may need additional lines too if for some reason you need to be able to differentiate each axis end. I used all 10 endstop switches as being independent lines for my initial trials so that I had options of homing at each end, but most importantly, if (i.e. when) I crashed the machine into an endstop, the machine knew which way to pull away when I restarted. I used fluidnc as it could handle 10 switch lines. Any config change is just a tweak of a text file, so is fast for debugging a new machine design, but GrblHal has the web builder which is quite quick too. GrblHal has some nice features that fluidnc does not have yet though, and I am still mulling over which way to go for the future.

I have now ganged the switches at either end of each axis, so I only need the 5 input lines, but if for some reason I manage to crash into an endstop, I have to manually wind the axis away from the stop to clear the switch before I can power back up again. Thankfully with homing and soft limits, it is rare that I have to manually move an axis as some of the drives are tricky to reach and move by hand.

16. EvanH

EvanH New
    Builder

I forgot to mention, as Peter said, if you always home Z before Y, then you can get auto squaring of both axes in GrblHal by ganging one pair of the Y and Z switches. Fluidnc does not like that option and needs independent switch sets on each axis. I have the option of homing in any order though, which is important for me as I have a secondary horizontal spindle and I swap the Y to be Z and Z becomes -Y, changing the homing order.