Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Openbuilds 1515 & Openbuilds CAM

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by dawhite, Mar 13, 2022.

1. dawhite

dawhite New
    Builder

sorry if this isn't the way to ask, I did search the forums, but couldn't find an answer. Probably not asking the right question, or not looking in the right place, and If this is answered elsewhere please point me in the right direction.

My question is, How does the gcode generate the tool path? Can I manually choose or force a more optimized path?
    I selected the holes in order bottom to top right to left and down again, why was the tool path generated so much less efficient? Eg if the selected holes are numbered left to right , top to bottom,
    when I selected the holes in order 5,3,1,2,4,6, does it generate to 3,5,1,6,4,2?

(source was imported DXF from acad 2002, would the creation order of each object in autocad influence this?)

note It will do as I expect if I choose one hole at a time, but that's a bit time consuming and repetitive ...
    Thanks in advance for any advice

2. dawhite

dawhite New
    Builder

here is the source example obc

Attached Files:

3. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Yes you have full control. Rather than a kind of select-all approach, take control and select the entity you want to cut first and create a toolpath for it, then the second and so forth. In a multi entity selection the order in the original CAD file is followed.

4. dawhite

dawhite New
    Builder

Thanks Peter!