Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Openbuild interface for pen plotter

Discussion in 'DrawBot' started by targz, Oct 2, 2022.

Tags:
  1. targz

targz New
    Builder

Can the Openbuild interface manage to send Pen UP and Pen DOWN M3 command to my pen plotter made with an Accro system using a blackbox ?

INTERFACE CNC Touch

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Yes, Whether its a laser, spindle, plotter - no difference all work on the same M3 commands

Your GCODE contains the correct commands.

3. targz

targz New
    Builder

thanks for the answer, so are you also able to adjust the pen down and up value ? while executing the gcode the values come from the Gcode file but while joging the value come from the software like in OpenBuildControl, is this the same with the Interface ? where the default values are setup ?

#3 targz, Oct 2, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2022
  4. Peter Van Der Walt

Depending on the sweep of your servo that might not work, but one rarely Jogs the pen. Jog XY to position job, then SetZERO and run the file

5. targz

targz New
    Builder

Peter,

Thanks for your help, and I'm sorry for asking more question but I just want to be sure that the Interface could fit in my workflow.
    I'm using pen up and down commands to tweak the pen height in my pen holder before each plot so need to be sure the Interface could send the command.
    upload_2022-10-6_20-32-49.png
    Today when I use the Z+ and Z- it does nothing, so I'm not sure how it works, does the Z+ and Z- of the interface commands will jog incrementally the servo up and down ?

6. Peter Van Der Walt

One could get around that by using a more repeatable pen mount method. Remember Servo positions are Absolute and comes from your GCODE. Pen up/down just forms part of testing - what you are doing doesn't sound like typical pen plotter workflows. I install my pen, run my CAM with my usual Pen up/down S-values, load the gcode file into a host (CONTROL, Interface, UGS, whatever) and Run it.

A servo is a TOOL, you can have a 3 axis machine with a Z axis on your machine, which then has a Servo operated Pen as the TOOL onto that. M3Sxxx (up) and M3Syyy (down) are commands to TURN ON and TURN OFF the "tool" (in the case of a pen, unlike a spindle or a laser than can be controlled electrically, this means lifting it up and putting it down. Binary state. On or Off. Not a Z axis, a Tool.
    With a laser or spindle you'd also use M3xxx and M4/M5 commands. its also not a Z axis, but a Tool
    M3/4/5 = TOOL commands
    Servo is but one way - you could use a magnetic solenoid, or any other method to drop the pen down (Tool ON) and pick it up (Tool OFF) - its not a jog/move but an ON/OFF

7. targz

targz New
    Builder

Peter, I get it, my question are a bit silly I'm sorry :). I will try to ask a better question :

I'm sending M3Sxxx and M3Syyy values to my Pen tool, but what are the xxx and yyy values sent by the Interface ?
    Because from what I see in the screenshot the tool command is only ON of OFF
    [​IMG]

8. Peter Van Der Walt

Whatever is contained in your GCODE file > get sent line by line when you Run job

Your JOB FILE contains the commands - that menu isn't accesible while a job is running so you cannot/wouldn't manually go into a menu and lift and drop the pen at the right time :) - the GCODE job file does that for you, at the right moment in the job, and gets added into the GCODE by the CAM

Mark Carew likes this.