Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Open vector help for Openbuilds CAM

Discussion in 'CAM' started by Aaron Hooft, Jun 20, 2024.

1. Aaron Hooft

Builder

Sorry if this has already been covered, but I couldn't find anything on it.

I have a design I'm trying to cut with my plasma cutter that needs some thin lines. When using the Plasma Path (no offset) the CAM keeps automatically closing the vectors with a straight line back to the start of the cut. Is there any way to make it start and stop the cut without closing the vector? I usually get around this by creating a closed path just barely wider than the plasma kerf, but it's really inefficient and causes unnecessary wear on the consumables to trace an already cut line.

Example: If I want to cut just an arc, I draw an arc, it will cut out a half circle, not just the curve.

I usually design in Vcarve Pro, and import as DXF Screenshot 2024-06-20 112458.png Screenshot 2024-06-20 112624.png Screenshot 2024-06-20 113232.png

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

3. Aaron Hooft

Builder

Thanks for the quick reply, I have used the fusion 360 pp to successfully cut some small projects, but It lags so bad its almost unusable for large svg and dxf files. The file I'm working on has 78 open vectors that need cut as thin lines, and about 150 closed vectors...
    Is there a post processor for Vcarve that includes the touch off and retract for plasma cutting? I tried to edit the Openbuilds GRBL pp but couldn't get the retract to work.