Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Open vector error with creating toolpath

Discussion in 'CAM' started by tsopkow, Feb 9, 2021.

1. tsopkow

tsopkow New
    Builder

Hi,
    I am a total Newbie to the world of CAM and G-Code, but I am using the Openbuilds CAM software and everything was going fine until I tried to create tool paths for cutouts in a enclosure panel. I have uploaded a screen shot of the profile that is giving me the error. In my CAD software I have made sure I selected all the lines and arcs and made this into a polyline. I have also saved the file as an SVG (when I try to use the dxf file it won't' load because of a color format error).

I would like to use an inside offset to cutout this profile, can someone explain to me how to correct the open vector error?

OpenBuilds Cam.jpg
    Regards

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

See docs:software:file-errors [OpenBuilds Documentation]

3. tsopkow

tsopkow New
    Builder

The CAD software that I am using allows me to convert to polyline. Also it has a SVG export option. I have tried saving as the R14 version of the dxf and I have exported it as a svg. The CAM software does not recognize the shape as closed in either file. I have attached the dxf file.

Attached Files:

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Checked the file, found it still has several circles in the drawing that hasn't been converted to Polylines:
    For example, use QCAD > Select All > Draw > PolyLine > PolyLine from Selection to convert everything to Polylines. (did that for you in the file attached)

Next, and more importantly, your drawing does contain open vectors: See here on the DB socket cutout: the end of the line, and the end of the arc doesn't come together, the line runs past it... Making this weird double line thing, this is not a proper closed vector

upload_2021-2-9_23-6-14.png

I fixed that for you by dragging the end of the line to connect to the endpoint of the arc

Saved as DXF R14

And loads fine in CAM, no more Open Vector warnings:

upload_2021-2-9_23-8-18.png

File attached.

Attached Files:

#4 Peter Van Der Walt, Feb 9, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
  5. tsopkow

tsopkow New
    Builder

Well thanks for you help. I did not think to zoom in and look closer. Again, thank you.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.