Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Open Builds Z Touch Plate error

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Brealy, Dec 15, 2019.

1. Brealy

Brealy New
    Builder

I am getting an error when trying to use the Open Builds Z touch plate with the black box.

first of all when I connect the Z Probe to the router shank the light for the probe on the black box comes on. I am thinking this is the core problem. But I dont know if the light is suppose to come on when the bit touches the plate or when you just connect the probe lead to the shank.

The error says the probe is not in the expected state before starting the probe cycle.

2. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

1) have you wired ground to the crocodile clip?
    2) if not you should do
    3) but, if that's the problem it may be that you have a ground connection to your spindle/router - you shouldn't have
    Alex

3. Brealy

Brealy New
    Builder

I am not sure what you mean by 1) have you wired ground to the crocodile clip? I have the wire coming from the alligator clip going to one of the outside connectors going into the black box probe connection. The other wire is going to the touch plate and wired to the other outside terminal of the connector to the black box connection.

So I unplugged the connector from the spindle. If i touch the alligator clip anywhere on the spindle the light on the black box comes on.

I guess my first question is.

Is the probe light on the black box suppose to illuminate when the alligator clip is just attached to the router bit shank? Or is it suppose to illuminate when the router bit makes contact with the probe plate?

4. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Sorry, my bad, the blackbox docs show the crocodile clip attached to signal, probe plate to ground.
    If the probe is triggering when the Croc clip is attached to the bit it implies you have a ground connection to the bit.
    Ignore me and wait for a blackbox expert to answer.
    OpenBuilds BlackBox 4X Documentation
    Alex.

5. Brealy

Brealy New
    Builder

I really appreciate your help and input. I think that is the first bit of information I was looking for.

Thank you for your input!

6. Brealy

Brealy New
    Builder

LOL SOLVED! So it matters the placement of the wires. I just switch the wires and all works now!

I was thinking it really didn't matter since it was just completing a circuit we it does matter.

sharmstr likes this.
  7. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Just watch out, swopping the wires gets you working but its still "bad" you don't want your router to be connected to logic GND! It will cause all kinds of issues (mains leakage into low voltage electronics, EMI into GND, etc)
    Rather find out why your router is connected to GND and address that, then restore the wiring to the way it should be! :)

8. Brealy

Brealy New
    Builder

Thanks for the reply. I dont think the spindle is grounded. I unplugged the power cord going to it and i got the same results. I think is all good now.

9. Peter Van Der Walt

Test with a multimeter on the endmill, other probe on GND at controller - if you have continuity, something is not right

Alain JBT likes this.
  10. Brealy

Brealy New
    Builder

I just tested the continuity from the endmill to the GND on the controller. It appears there is continuity the probe light on the black box lights up also when I touch the lead from the GND on the black box to the endmill, spindle, or spindle mount, but nowhere else on the machine. I unplugged the spindle and same result. I turned off the power from the PSU and unplugged the USB same result.

I can put one lead of the multi meter on the alligator clip of the probe and the endmill and get continuity.

Also I can only get 12,000 rpms out of the Spindle maybe another issue.

11. Brealy

Brealy New
    Builder

I have isolated this to the Z Axis limit switch. I removed the z axis limit switch and there is no longer continuity between the probe and the endmill. The red wire was loose at the connection to the black box fixed that and there is no longer any continuity between the endmill and the GND on the probe

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  12. Peter Van Der Walt

Good, see (; told you something is not as its should be (; hehe!