Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Open Builds Workbee 1510 Y axis movement

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by jtovar78, Aug 14, 2019.

1. jtovar78

jtovar78 New
    Builder

I finally got my table up and running. While running the homing cycle I noticed uneven movement along the Y axis after it touches the switch. I'm attempting to attach a couple of videos depicting what I'm talking about. When it stops the side closest to the camera is 1.56" away from the frame and the opposite side is 1.61".

How do I correct this?

Thanks!!

Joe

Attached Files:

2. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Are the even before you start the homing cycle? Loose set screw on the motor pulley? Loose belt? Machine square?

I had a similar issue. Turned out my machine wasnt square. I determined this by disabling the motors and moving the X gantry to the end. One side was touching the end plate and the other wasnt. I originally fixed it by shimming one side of the X cbeam. Later I loosened the Y end plates and resqaured. No problems since. That was a year ago.

3. jtovar78

jtovar78 New
    Builder

I'll give that a try. Thanks!!

4. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team

I found my old post showing a video and the shim I used: OpenBuilds WorkBee 1510

When I did my linear rail upgrade, I had both Y's and the end plates off so I was able to get it square. But now that I think about it, it might be the 1/2" lead screws I upgraded to that's holding the gantry square. Hmmmm.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  5. jtovar78

jtovar78 New
    Builder

Update.

Checked squaring on the table and the gantry. The table was a little off. Belts were tight. However, after close inspection on the entire length of the belt, I noticed that one of them had somehow worked it's way between the nut securing the support wheel and the c-beam. :banghead: :banghead:
    Removed the belt and took apart that ENTIRE side of the gantry. The wheel on the motor had worked its way free so I reset that and re-assembled everything. So far it is running a lot better than before.

Thanks for the tips.

sharmstr and Alex Chambers like this.
  6. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team

No problem. I probably should have suggested blue loctite on the grub screw. When it comes loose next time, add it. Also keep an eye on your Z axis lock collars. Those set screws back out too.