Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

open builds lead1515 with easel plunging

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by shotfun, Jan 14, 2023.

1. shotfun

shotfun New
    Builder

So I have an issue with my lead 1515 plunging while running this file. I use easel for whatever reason, maybe it's the GUI or whatever but it's just a breeze to mess with. this may be the last time though. does anyone see anything wrong with this g-code? im going to verify that its not the code first. thanks in advance for your time. ive gone into my grbl settings and ive checked all calibrations and everything looks cool.

Attached Files:

#1 shotfun, Jan 14, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2023
  2. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor Master
    Builder

There are a few of these as the file goes on- find-and-replace "Z-0.7" in Notepad++ to see where. If "plunge" is more than 3/4", I don't know if it's anything in the file, though I didn't simulate it to be sure.

upload_2023-1-14_15-19-1.png

3. shotfun

shotfun New
    Builder

hey rob, thanks for the quick response. I want to clarify some stuff with you. why is it raining so hard right now in California? when you say "find and replace z0.7" in notepad, where do I garb that data from? if its in fusion ive already ran this past a few buddies of mine and they say it looks and simulates fine. I know I used the word plunge in the wrong way as thats our entry method for milling, but the z axis just took a plunge. it was really odd as I haven't seen anything like this and it felt like a plunge. so the z axis dropped substantially more than the .125 I had it set at. I can't find that issue anywhere in my code simulation or observation. ion really just trying to weed out culprits. so for now it looks as though my code isn't the issue. I went in to calibrate my lead 1515 and it's stepping properly. this sounds to me like it may be an easel issue or something I can't find. thanks again for the input

4. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor Master
    Builder

I just open the text file in notepad. ".nc" is like ".html"- it's not a real extension, it just tells a program to parse a text file a certain way.

I'd say 0.71 is more than 0.125, yes. That's what's in the file as you can see in the screenshot. Why, I don't know.

5. shotfun

shotfun New
    Builder

yeah thats totally bogus. thanks for that.

6. shotfun

shotfun New
    Builder

bear with me clarifying this. youre finding that code in my code from fusion 360? ok,. so I guess im going to run it again and see what happens. thanks again for everything. ill move over to those dudes at fusion and ask them what the heck this is

7. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor Master
    Builder

You can literally see it- and the line it's on- in the screenshot. I mean, I am assuming your G54 Z0 is at the top of the stock, and your safe height is 0.2". Which would make Z-0.71 almost 3/4" into the workpiece.

I don't know why it wouldn't be simulating when it's clearly in the output.

8. shotfun

shotfun New
    Builder

so I went through this file in my text editor and I dont really know what im looking at...but I get the feeling that what im seeing in your screen shot of z-.71 is the final depth of previous z depths. .71 is my stock piece and everything before that is building to that depth? how high am I on this? thanks. jc

9. shotfun

shotfun New
    Builder

ok cool. got ya

10. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor Master
    Builder

No, this is entirely plausible. It definitely increases as the file goes on. I didn't see any large jumps earlier in the file, so it isn't necessarily the code.

I'd personally just run it until it plunges and then see what line it's on when I hit e-stop. If it's not the code, it's either your machine or maybe something like EMI.

11. shotfun

shotfun New
    Builder

im going to scrap the code and start over. total bummer because I had gone through all of this bs and fixed everything. really dialed in stuff and the first sheet of high end 3/4 baltic birch and this thing craps out. the universe is a funny place. have a great weekend and thanks for your help

12. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

That is a Fusion360 default GRBL post output (confused about where easel comes into play?), please use the Openbuilds post instead (it also puts back the rapid moves!).
    docs:software:fusion360 [OpenBuilds Documentation]

The header looks like this:
    Code:
    G90G94
    G17
    G20
    (When using Fusion 360 for Personal Use, the feedrate of)
    (rapid moves is reduced to match the feedrate of cutting)
    (moves, which can increase machining time. Unrestricted rapid)
    (moves are available with a Fusion 360 Subscription.)

(TOOL/MILL,0.25,0,1,0)
    (STOCK/BLOCK,47.2553,48.0561,0.71,0, 0, 0)
    M9

and I boldfaced the stock depth of 0.71, that is why it is plunging to -0.71, it is simply cutting to the bottom of the stock, which for a 2d contour is exactly what you told it to do.
    2D operations have no knowledge of the model, they only do exactly what you tell them to do, in this case cut from the top of the stock to the bottom of the stock.

Can you explain a bit more about what exactly your plunging problem is?
    What are you expecting instead?

13. shotfun

shotfun New
    Builder

ok, so whats happening here is im a complete fool. I couldn't figure out why my bit was dropping so I figured it was the machine...it wasn't. it was me not tightening a bit all the way. wayyyyy too much headache for a dumb mistake. so thanks everyone, I appreciate the help but it seems the only person who can help me is...me.