Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

open builds cam/controll for plasma

Discussion in 'OpenBuilds Forum Help' started by robert christensen, Apr 9, 2021.

1. robert christensen

Builder

in open builds cam,library,motor plate with 4 small holes and 1 big hole. i did two layers 1 no leads for the 4 small holes and 1 leadin on big hole, plasma is set to fire and go,,,problem when it goes to the first hole it fires then shuts off and goes through the motion, did it for all 4 small holes when it came to the larg hole it fired started to cut then stopped whent through rest of motion !!! torch is on z access it bump fires i guess any thoughts thanks robert

sometime it likes to raise first got to starting point,then goes down then fires and lifts and stop cutting but still goes through the motion

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Post the files please

Sounds more like your plasma setup is not done correctly though. Or EMI messing with things (hopefully you don't have a HF Start plasma) Did you watch the Dr D Flo plasma Videos?

3. robert christensen

Builder

vipercut 30 i plasma cutter. it worked great on my 500mm by 500mm.plasma table that i built first, now. that i enlarged it to 1000mm and 1500mm , primarily i cut silhouettes with light burn. i just switched to openbuilds cam. and that's when trouble started. so my wuestion again with openbuilds if fires then stops firing and draws out a hole,shouldnt it stay lit form the whole time

4. Peter Van Der Walt

It should, and does. Check the gcode you'll see the M5 (tool off) at the end of the vector.

Without more details best we can offer is guesswork

Gcode, workspace export (OBC file) screenshot of CAM > Settings tab > Settings button page to see what you maybe changed from defaults, or forgot to set up, and a Grbl settings backup at least

5. robert christensen

Builder

i tryed to send a video but its on my fone and dont know ho to transfer so i sent it to openbuiilds support

6. Peter Van Der Walt

We don't need a video. Didn't ask for video either. We need the files mentioned above to take a look for you

and
    Refers from earlier replies. As soon as you add the info we need we can move forward, constructively

#6 Peter Van Der Walt, Apr 10, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
  7. robert christensen

Builder

Attached Files:

8. robert christensen

Builder

hope this is what you needed

Attached Files:

9. robert christensen

Builder

im trying to get what you want but i know very little of computers

Attached Files:

10. robert christensen

Builder

last one i hope, im really excited to use open builds cam/controls it will take me to the next level

Attached Files:

11. robert christensen

Builder

sorry to bug you all again but,after down loading control and opening cam it ask for 5 settings is their asnything else, my concern is that after moving to the first cut ,,,it peirces the metal the the plasma torch shut off but the machine still traces out the item witch is the nema 17 plate in liberary thanks again

12. Peter Van Der Walt

Watch the Dr D Flo video around 33min20 second in he cover CAM. Note video is older, things he complains about has been fixed/improved since

13. robert christensen

Builder

ok other than black box that he has and me tb6600 and arduino i did everything the same,, even watched it twice it still dont explain whats going on ,can you explain this to me
    lightburn-butterfly-comes out fine
    openbuilds-same butterfly- moves to the start pierces the metal then tourch shuts off but machine still traces out buitterfly
    clearly its somthing in opnbuilds

14. Peter Van Der Walt

• Post the Lightburn Gcode too (do they even have proper Plasma support? Its not a laser after all - Lightburn is a Laser CAM. Plasmas need extra Z moves, Material touch off, Pierce delays, Pierce vs Cut heights etc) - if it works for you in Lightburn its probably that you have your machine configured more as a laser than a Plasma - and thus fundamentally wrong.
    • Post the Grbl settings backup (CONTROL > Grbl settings tab > Backup Grbl Settings button on the top toolbar) i am expecting your $3x parameters to be incorrect (we use Grbl defaults of $30=1000, $31=0 and $32=0 to turn the relay on)
    • confirm, you are triggering the Plasma off the spindle output, using a relay.
    • You are running stock standard Grbl 1.1 as expected? Not some 3rd party version of Grbl?
    The gcode out of CAM looks good. Open it in a text editor and read it (would benefit you a lot to read basic gcode and understand the commands)

IMG_20210411_060444.jpg

Get a BlackBox (; it makes it all easier

#14 Peter Van Der Walt, Apr 10, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
  15. robert christensen

Builder

i never had a z access before i used to manually set the cut height like a torch mate.i just added it along with OB, my settings are the same for lightburn and the arduino, fireing a relay from pin 11, thanks robert,

Attached Files:

16. robert christensen

Builder

hello again,, in settings it said something about (this machine does not support torch off, does this have anything to do ith my problem

17. Peter Van Der Walt

Awaiting

And

In regards to:

Doesn't sound familiar, take a screenshot of what you are referring to

Ps: i cant see a probe switch in your video, yet you have Touch Off commands in one of your GCODE uploads. Stay aware of that and either dont enable Touch Off, or fit a switch and floating head so you can enable it

18. robert christensen

Builder

your right, no switch so i turned it (torch off) off, so went to library,loaded butterfly, hit run cnc traveled to start point pierced a hole and again shuts off then traces pattern and comes home, when i look at my relay from the time of piercing untill it homes the red light is on
    So (m3-m5 ) is their a difference in lightburn vs OB on how are they are used

19. Peter Van Der Walt

No you need the tool in settings. Touch off is under the toolpath parameters.

Ours is standard, lightburn is for lasers, not plasmas

20. robert christensen

Builder

i know laserburn is meant for lasers, how ever it works for me ,during the last year doing silhouettes, now, i want to do it rite, its to easy for me to compare the two because to me it should be easy and its not.... so I turned off ,torch off), so its not enabled just turn plasma off and on, here are all settings where im at now

Attached Files:

21. Peter Van Der Walt

For two days now, i keep asking you:

I cannot offer any more assistance until you add the information I ask for, and also answer all the questions (you answer sporadically, short, and without details, it feels like you post random files, i ask for Grbl settings backup files, you paste from serial console of a different host - very hard to assist you if we cannot work logically toward a point.

Now please post the Lightburn gcode so i can compare it for you.

22. robert christensen

Builder

thanks for helping 1st...you asked for grbl settings back up file ,,I dont know what that is, ive looked at cam and controls and do not see a tab for grbl settings, i thought a pdf or note with grbl settings would be enuf, im very new to this cnc machines never touched one till last year,im 55 and medically retired navel security, please be patient with me learning difference of grbl to code to gcode,im doing my best to understand, here is what i call a g code of laserburn, also the part about pasting from a serial console and different host, don't understand either but I'm researching it

again thanks for your help

Attached Files:

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  23. Peter Van Der Walt

The Lightburn Gcode includes M8/M9 (Coolant outputs) - are you sure you don't have your relay wired to the Coolant or Spindle Direction outputs instead of the Spindle PWM Outputs by mistake?
    See gnea/grbl

Grbl Settings tab along the top, button is right on the toolbar
    upload_2021-4-12_15-58-33.png

For us working the support side of things, this format is much easier to read than having to lookup parameter numbers.

The file you provided as "grbl settings" didn't come from the button above, and thus was harder to work with for us (seems you copy pasted it from the host application)

If you don't know what a Host is, see docs:software:overview [OpenBuilds Documentation]

The Host interacts with the Firmware to stream the Gcode created by a CAM. Explained in the link above

See the difference, the nice Backup out of CONTROL has the descriptions etc which makes checking the settings so much easier, yours was from somewhere else and missing this detail. Now the support guy (in this case me) has to go cross check some parameters against the Wiki to check the values, taking a long time extra.

CONTROL backup on the left, yours on the right... Not easy to check.
    upload_2021-4-12_16-1-43.png

Each time you post things are a little different, so how can I continue down a troubleshooting path with you? :)

Yesterday in file "modern settings.txt" in post #15, you had $32=0 (as it should be)
    Today, in file "grbl factory settings" you have $32=1 (which is wrong!)

upload_2021-4-12_16-5-48.png

So please set $32=0 (Disabled) - It's a plasma, not a laser, trying to use Laser Mode (and a laser CAM like Lighburn) is effectively incorrect

You can do so from the Grbl Settings tab:

upload_2021-4-12_16-9-21.png

#23 Peter Van Der Walt, Apr 12, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
    sharmstr likes this.
  24. robert christensen

Builder

is this what your asking for?

Attached Files:

25. Peter Van Der Walt

We are past that point by now... Was just showing you where it is

I asked you to change Laser Mode to Disabled
    and to recheck your wiring:

If you have a more electronics and computer inclined buddy to invite over for a beer, it would help too

26. robert christensen

Builder

grbl 32 is set to 0 in cam you can only enable and disable these are my now current setting went to wizzard both x and y are calibrated, went to cam, then library,butterfly,highlited butterfly,added vector, laser cut,gererated g code and inserted to OB control,run program,( **** butterfly fell out of the sky ) and all momes slow and x barley moves

i will send you a bottle after this

pin 11 out of adruino

Attached Files:

#26 robert christensen, Apr 12, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
  27. Peter Van Der Walt

Correct, your Grbl Settings now at least shows $32=0 - don't change it again (; - leave it!

Feedrate is set in CAM, if its slow, you typed a low number into Feedrate (I assume, you didn't attach the latest Gcode so I can check it for you)

Still waiting on you to check your wiring again, post some pics of how you have your relay wired (clear pics) so we can see if thats the issue: as per

28. robert christensen

Builder

ok just for shits band grin reopened lightburn still works at correct speed IE whats on the arduino is same thats on OB CAM,,,just delited it and T2 lase only OB...
    if you write in came and save then it ill be saved in the arduino, ?

is this what you need?

would you like a screen shot of cam

pin 11 is from internet and yes wireing is fine

Attached Files:

29. robert christensen

Builder

are my grbl setting in cam correct
    100,111,112 calibrated
    120,121,122 how do you set ?
    130 131 132 how do you set

30. Peter Van Der Walt