Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Ooznest OX - raising Z clearance

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by DavidJP, Nov 30, 2019.

1. DavidJP

DavidJP New
    Builder

Help needed!!

I have recently bought a pre-owned (and therefore already assembled) Ooznest OX CNC 1500mm x 1500mm

I want to cut 55mm floral foam but I need more Z clearance - with a planned 15mm wasteboard and a small end-mill there is only about 27mm of available travel.

I am looking for an easy way to increase the Z clearance (see attached photo of my set-up). Since I only plan to cut foam it I wont be putting much strain on the beam.

I thought that given that there are inner-braces next to the y-axis, there should be a way of changing the corner brackets to raise the y-axis?

Thanks

David

Setup.jpg

2. Christian James

Christian James Journeyman
    Builder

I assume you have already factored in the possibility of loosening the router clamp and raising the router itself?
    BTW, I hope its the camera lens that's distorting the frame :))

3. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Journeyman
    Builder

I'm not sure if you can lay the 20X80 beams that support wasteboard on their sides.

Rick 2.0 likes this.
  4. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Convert it to the LEAD high Z. You may be able to use your existing ox plates if you are creative. Or, easier yet, do as Jeff mentioned above and lay the 20 80s on their sides and get the taller Ox plates from Blue Ox (Chris Laidlaw). They are quality plates from what others on here have said. 2" Taller OX CNC Y Gantry Plates (seen at Openbuilds) | eBay

5. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

Or since you have a cnc already, cut your own new plates. ;)

6. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team

I'm with Jeff, lay the two interior 20x80s flat and pick up a couple pieces of 20x40 to drop down in there along the right and left edges to support the waste board. If the base is truly flat, just eliminate the center 20x80s and drop the waste board directly on the table. Use the leftover clamps from the 20x80s to tie the waste board to the side rails.

Peter Van Der Walt and Giarc like this.
  7. DavidJP

DavidJP New
    Builder

Hi All

Thanks for the advice - I think I am going to do a combination of raising the router a little and get some taller gantry plates

DP

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.