Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

ooznest OX CNC Machine

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Ryan Lock, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Chillimonster

Chillimonster Well-Known
    Builder

Thanks for that - very helpful seeing the picture.

2. Ryan Lock

Ryan Lock Veteran
    Builder

It is 22AWG solid cable, i reckon ebay would be the best source to find lengths of it.

3. Marcus1

Marcus1 New
    Builder

Muxa

Did you solve the issue? I have something similar when the X axis is close to the Y on the LH side. Y seems to "lag" - all seems to be fine in the middle of the table (But it wouldnt be as noticable there anyway) I have a 1500x1500 OX, runninfg Mach 3 through smoothstepper.

Cheers

4. Marcus1

Marcus1 New
    Builder

What Cutter are you using? Compression Spiral? Straight Flute?.
    Are you using Leads or ramps?
    What are the recommended feeds and speeds for the cutter (or Chipload)

Is the Cutter getting HOT - Should be warm

Marcus

5. Bjorn Mikkelsen

Builder

Hi all

Im facing a problem that when I do a face operation the x-axis suddenly stop moving, just vibrates, and then move ind the other direction. Each time making the piece kind of useless. See the attached picture.
    I dont seem to have this problem when doing other operations.

Im running at F1500 with 1mm cut and the materials are plywood.

Any ideas is greatly appreciated.

Regards
    Bjorn

Attached Files:

6. Marcus1

Marcus1 New
    Builder

Bjorn

Sounds like a motor tuning issue. What are you using to drive the motors and what software (ie Mach).
    In Mach there is a Pulse and Step width setting that you can use

7. Ryan Lock

Ryan Lock Veteran
    Builder

Could be an overheating issue, so it cuts out, but once it cools downs, the commands are to go in the other direction?

8. Ryan Lock

Ryan Lock Veteran
    Builder

Did loosening the wheels work for you?

9. Marcus1

Marcus1 New
    Builder

Loosening the wheels made no difference, Tightening the belt made no difference. It must be a mechanical issue when the X is all the way to the left HS of the table. Dont know quite what yet. Any ideas appreciated.

On a lighter note - Vacuum table to be tested tomorrow
    Set up is - 3Depths of 5.5 mm ply Bottom Solid, Middle some spacers, top drilled with 2mm drill 10x10 all over. sanwiched and edges sealed with Gaffer tape. Two Vacuum entries via spigots created on 3D printer. Vacuum motors (2 Off) are AIRFLIX STORM Vacuum motor Lamb Ametek 2 Stage .

Spoilboard is 12mm MDF LIte with sealed edges

Initial testing - Hold is GGGGGOOOOOOODDDD

Will update when I have cut a part or two

Marcus

10. Bjorn Mikkelsen

Builder

Hi Marcus

Im using Fusion 360 to generated the model and gcode. Then using ugs to control the CNC vPro v3 controller.

11. Bjorn Mikkelsen

Builder

Hi Ryan

I can make like an hour milling without any issues. But if I start the face operation then after like five minutes this often happens. Not all the time though.

12. Marcus1

Marcus1 New
    Builder

Sorry, dont know anything about that SW. If the "Jitter" is not present in the G Code (have you run a simulation) then it seems to me that the motors are not getting the correct direction pulse width. Although if it works normally on other operations, this is not likely.

Can you post me the Gcode and I will simulate?

13. Muxa

Muxa New
    Builder

Here's an update on the "lag" issue when swapping direction of movement on the X axis (looses about 0.5mm).
    The issue is not the motor (i've swapped X and Z axis motors).
    The issue is not Grbl version (i've restored to 0.9j which worked fine before, from 1.1f).
    The issue is not the double belt (i've gone back from double belt to single belt on X axis).
    I don't think it's the belts or the pulley wheel, because this setup worked fine before (i've made sure the pulley wheel is rigidly attached to the shaft of the motor).
    So i think the issue is in xPro board. The "lag" is about 0.5mm on X axis, and on the Y axis it's 0.2mm. It's apparent when routing small holes - they end up being oval (narrower in X axis). Each axis is calibrated. This issue only occurred a few weeks ago.
    I'll try one more thing though: add extra idler wheels on the X gantry to increase the surface area for the timing belt on X pullet wheel.

#583 Muxa, Apr 14, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  14. Bjorn Mikkelsen

Builder

Hi Marcus

Sorry for the late reply.... easter time :)

Here is the gcode. But Im pretty sure it has nothing to do with it, since it sometimes runs fine.

Attached Files:

15. Ryan Lock

Ryan Lock Veteran
    Builder

Could it maybe be too much for the machine? Have you tried dropping it down to 0.5mm?

Hmm seems you have tried most things. Could it be an interference issues causing the delays? (With our kits we now supply a much better shield USB Cable, and ferrite beads for every wire)

@Michael Would there be something with the xPro causing this?

16. Matt-Sparks

Builder

Hoping to get my kit this week

Any recommendations of where to get cnc router bits?

Thanks,

17. Ryan Lock

Ryan Lock Veteran
    Builder

Hi Matt,

Hopefully we will start shipping them friday, for bits, in the uk, try routercutter.co.uk, or cutwel.co.uk

Ryan

18. Marcus1

Marcus1 New
    Builder

Bjorn= You are right the code seems fine. Best take Ryans advice and cut down the cut depth see if that make s any difference.

19. JohnC39

JohnC39 New
    Builder

Hi Guys,

Complete novice when it comes to the world of CNC but just started a business up and we require one so just ordered the full Ox Kit.

I will be mainly working with MDF (3mm to 25mm) and was looking for some hints/tips and guidance with regards to best software to use, bits, speeds etc. I've trawled through a lot of post but some of it may as well be written in another language.

I'm currently using inkscape for my design stuff as it's pretty simple to use. Would I be able to carry on with this and convert files to CNC files??

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Cheers

John

20. Marcus1

Marcus1 New
    Builder

What sort of business and where are you based, may be a collaboration opportunity

21. JohnC39

JohnC39 New
    Builder

I'm up in Liverpool pal and it's for the wifes craft business.

22. Ryan Lock

Ryan Lock Veteran
    Builder

Thanks for ordering from us!

For the software, you need a CAM program, however i believe there is CAM plugins for inkscape which would accomplish this task.

For bits, a solid carbide 1/8" 2 flute, up cut would work well. But alot is depending on how intricate your designs are etc. Speeds 1200mm/min would be a good starting one.

JohnC39 likes this.
  23. PCModsCanada

Builder

Getting soooo close to starting this baby up, All that's left is the belts, VFD, Spoiler board and Limit switches. Still have to wire my house for 220v for the VFD but that should be done in the next week or 2. I must say it's been super fun to build. The yellow parts you see are the 3D printed belt tensioners and Drag chain holders.

Attached Files:

Ryan Lock and JohnC39 like this.
  24. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Just unplug the clothes dryer and use that socket. The wife probably won't notice for a few days... :)

Ryan Lock and JohnC39 like this.
  25. JohnC39

JohnC39 New
    Builder

Hi Ryan,

Many thanks for your reply. I looked around a lot before deciding to go with you guys and you stood out a mile from the competition!! So easy choice!!

If i was to go with a CAM program which would be the easiest to navigate and pick up fairly quickly in your opinion? Really would like to hit the ground running once the machine is built.

As for the flutes, some of the work will be fairly simple but some of it can be quite intricate? I was also wondering if i would use the same bits for engraving??

You mention 1200mm/min, would that be for the full range of thicknesses?!

I also forgot to mention I will also be working with acrylic so any recommendations for that would be great too!!

Cheers

John

26. PCModsCanada

Builder

Funny you say this as it was my initial plan (as we don't use it anyways) and I have the socket extension already lol . Its just not as conveniently located as I would like it to be.

27. PCModsCanada

Builder

Personally I'll be using Fusion360 with Mach3, i'm sure Fusion360 should work in your setup as well. Best thing about Fusion360 is that's it's free for hobbyists

28. JohnC39

JohnC39 New
    Builder

Cheers PCMODS,

I will download that this weekend and have a play. Am i right in thinking my bits are to have 1/4 shanks?!

Cheers

John

29. Ryan Lock

Ryan Lock Veteran
    Builder

Fusion360 is a very good free option. For a paid option we recommend looking at the programs by Vectric, they are pricey, but you get a lot of features. For engraving work, you would want separate bits for that.

30. JohnC39

JohnC39 New
    Builder

Hi Ryan, thanks for that. What sort of bit are good for engraving wood/acrylic?

Cheers

John