Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

OneZ i3

Discussion in '3D printers' started by Keith Davis, Apr 17, 2016.

1. Keith Davis

Keith Davis Veteran
    Builder

Thanks DiggerJ!! You are correct. 300mm was the max X axis width for even a single direct drive extruder using a 20x20 due to deflection from weight. For anything wider a 20x40 would be needed, especially for a dual extruder direct drive. Doing that would require using two 25mm high linear bearings instead of the single 45mm high bearing. But other than that I see no reason why a 20x40 cannot be used for the X axis extrusion.

BTW, it's not my thread, or even my design any more, It's our thread and our design.

2. Moreau vincent

Builder

Hello everyone,
    Thank you for all your information. My English limits me in understanding the intricacies but I took out several points.
    But I understood that one Zi3 may be the frame of my project but with some adjustment .
    The first is to review the X axis to enhance the power to accept the printing plate 400mm .
    The second is to review the block ( or find ) a compact design for the dual direct drive extruder . For the printing height , I do not count exceed 400mm , I thought even stay on 300mm .

I also had a interogation on capcité of the only z axis motor to move correctly the X axis with dual extruder? Thought that you?

Small practical question , I downloaded all the elements provided in the files but I can not open the Sketchup file because I only have version 8 and he informed me that I can not open with version 15 . Do you have an idea for me to work on my sketchup8 ? Thank you for your help

3. Keith Davis

Keith Davis Veteran
    Builder

Moreau
    For the Z axis motor we are using a Nema 17 40mm motor with 56 oz/in (.4 n/m). For a dual extruder and 20x40 X axis extrusion I suggest you go to a Nema 17 46mm motor with 62 in/oz (.44 n/m). That should be plenty of power - the original prototype for Onez used a Nema 17 with 31 in/oz (22 n/m).

Sketchup 8 and all later versions are not compatible. But you can import STL files into Sketchup 8. Google "sketchup 8 import stl files" to find the right plug-in.

As for a dual extruder I hope DiggerJ can respond - perhaps he's using, or contemplated using, a dual direct drive on the Onez. My thoughts on it: the main problem is getting both nozzles the same height. So each assembly has to be identical. You could use the extruder assembly for OneZ i3 and (in Sketchup) Flip Along.... to reverse one of them so the two motors face outwards with the fin cooling fans under the motors (and leave off the knurled knob). That would place the nozzles about 30mm from each other. You would need to design and print an X carriage plate for mounting both of them.

4. Kyo

Kyo Veteran
    Staff Member Builder Resident Builder

@Moreau vincent Please find attached Sketchup 8 files for Keith's build. @Keith Davis While sketchup 8 is not compatible with newer versions of sketchup newer versions of sketchup are compatible with sketchup 8. You just have to tell sketchup to save the files for sketchup 8. :thumbsup:

Edit: hmm I get a error when trying to add the new sketchup zip files. ( each zip is around 4mb ) It tells me files are to large for server to process. ?? @Mark Carew

Mark Carew likes this.
  5. DiggerJ

DiggerJ Journeyman
    Builder

Sorry guys, We are going single head, and concentrating on flexible filament on this one. There is a 600x600 stationary bed, core XY in the wings for an upcoming build.
    Currently there are (2) modified Lautr3k's, a modified DeltaSix (Jerry Style) and this one going on at our Makerspace build shop. After that is a different beefy DeltaSix style, the C3PO (C-beam 3D Printer Object) that is a one-armed printer, and who knows what else going on.

And now that I think about it, only 1 (maybe) is slated for a dual head assembly.

Crap! I forgot about the TAZ5 build, using a V-Slot conversion. I think booze would be cheaper than all of this!

6. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Sounds cool @DiggerJ looking forward to these

7. DiggerJ

DiggerJ Journeyman
    Builder

I may have muddled those two together. C3PO is not a delta, it is separate from the DeltaSix, .
    Yeah, I look forward to having the time to get through it all. We thought about posting them all when you were at 495 builds, but some might have considered that cheating. :)

8. DiggerJ

DiggerJ Journeyman
    Builder

Teaser pic (sorry, wrong thread): 3D Printer Builds.jpg

Kyo likes this.
  9. Keith Davis

Keith Davis Veteran
    Builder

That'a LOT of booze @DiggerJ !

At least this way when the hangover wears off you've got printers. Which of course just enforces the addiction - never seen a printer yet that doesn't suggest modifications :eek:. In fact, HERE are modifications suggested by Onez i3

10. DiggerJ

DiggerJ Journeyman
    Builder

Keith, can't find the wire guide brackets that go on either side of the Y-beam on the back of the 20x80 extrusion?

11. Keith Davis

Keith Davis Veteran
    Builder

12. DiggerJ

DiggerJ Journeyman
    Builder

I don't use sketchup. What is needed to get the parts to .stl?

13. DiggerJ

DiggerJ Journeyman
    Builder

NVM, figured it out, thanks for the info.

14. Moreau vincent

Builder

@Kyo thanks a lot for your help. I have a solution.
    I can get to work

Kyo likes this.
  15. MaryD

MaryD OpenBuilds Team

@Kyo File Uploads should be good now. Increased size limit. Thanks for letting us know!

16. Christian Setla

Builder

Is there a chance I could get a copy of those Sketchup 8 version files? I'm stuck at version 8 as it's the only one I can get to run with Wine in linux for some reason.

17. Keith Davis

Keith Davis Veteran
    Builder

18. Kyo

Kyo Veteran
    Staff Member Builder Resident Builder

Keep in mind, that method will no longer work as of Jan.1st. .. Sketchup warehouse will no longer be supporting Sketchup 8 or Sketchup 2013 file formats for download beginning the new year..

#108 Kyo, Dec 20, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
  19. Christian Setla

Builder

20. Christian Setla

Builder

I managed to install Sketchup Make 2016 in a Win7 VM and converted the files myself. Alas... the latest Sketchup will not run in a VM without OpenGL 3.x and/or specific graphics cards.

Now, if only my Chinese made bearings would arrive so I can finish the darn thing!

Kyo likes this.
  21. Mark Swann

Builder

Hi Keith,
    Which Sainsmart board do you use or recommend ?
    I wish I had seen your design before I ordered my P3 steel frame, your engineering and design philosophy is so refreshing to read and it all makes total sense.. I have learnt more from reading your posts than from anywhere else.
    I may attempt a single Z axis mod on the frame.
    Next build is definitely this one

Thank you for all you input
    Mark

22. Keith Davis

Keith Davis Veteran
    Builder

The OneZ is designed for Sainsmart 2 in 1
    SainSmart 2-in-1 3D Printer Controller Board 3D Printing, Arduino, Robotics | Sainsmart
    They have USA warehousing now too

That is a good board. I'm also using the MKS Gen board on my other TrueUp printer.
    Aliexpress.com : Buy 4 layers PCB controller board MKS Gen V1.4 integrated mainboard compatible Ramps1.4/Mega2560 R3 support a4988/DRV8825/TMC2100 from Reliable printer 3d suppliers on MakerBase Technology Co., Ltd.

On your P3Steel, you could mount a pillow block for a bearing in the top flanges for the top of the screws, put pulleys on the top of the screws and sync with a closed loop belt - then unplug one of the motors so it is just a mount. That's basically how I built my first Single Z prototype. :) And it's still printing in my shop!

23. Mark Swann

Builder

Thanks for the Links and the tips Keith.
    Your suggestion is really the only option, I had thought of replacing the redundant motor with a bearing.

Nice to hear it's still up and running !
    I'm in the Uk by the way

Happy New Year..
    Mark

24. Robert Kirkpatrick

Builder

@Keith Davis

Hello. Firstly please forgive me for my Noob Question. I am interested in another Openbuild for a laser cutter but most of the parts need to be 3d printed so, I thought ok I'll start with a 3d printer! However I can see I need a 3d printer to build a 3d printer?? Or am I being stupid here and there is a link somewhere to purchase the 3d parts? Thanks Rob

#114 Robert Kirkpatrick, Jan 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  25. Keith Davis

Keith Davis Veteran
    Builder

If you are looking at building a laser cutter that is an OpenBuilds design, you might ask the designer of that build if they can supply the printed parts for a price. If they built the laser, then they have the parts designed and a way to print them. Ask on that build's thread if they could supply the printed parts, if not, maybe some other community builder will take up the offer.

If you are designing the laser cutter, and therefor the printed parts, then you'll need a printer . Then, what you are probably looking for is a Kit, which includes all of the printer's parts, including the printed ones. Even a cheap Chinese clone of a Prusa i3 on Ebay may suffice if all you plan on using the printer for is developing your laser.

I have supplied the printed parts for a OneZ to two people, but building a OneZ is not a trivial affair, both have struggled with their builds (it's just way too complex a design). In fact, that complexity is what inspired me to a second, easier-to-build-design, of the Single Z concept - TrueUp Glide. Next week I'll be posting a revision of that design, 1) offering a Kit for it, and, 2) parts changes so it can be built from scratch using a 8"x8" printer bed and only PLA.

26. seve030608

Builder

It is a struggle! If I had a "do over" wouldn't change a thing... The learning experience is worth the struggle! The people in this community are awesome and and always willing to help. I'm sure the electrical/mechanical aspects would carryover to your laser build in some way as well.

Progress=improvement

Attached Files:

Kyo and MaryD like this.
  27. Robert Kirkpatrick

Builder

Thanks very much for all the replies. I am interested in building both machines now! Ha! Please could you tell me if this machine has a printing resolution of 0.05mm capability? Hope this question is not insulting ;)

MaryD likes this.
  28. Christian Setla

Builder

Ooh ooh ooh..... Never mind, I'm almost there with the OneZ! Got my bearings today, so it's going to be back at it again... Hopefully no more stumbling blocks. I'm interested in the TrueUP, non the less, and look forward to seeing the latest iteration, and a parts kit might be a good way to help guys outside the US, such as myself, not to mention *anyone* wanting to build their own and that do not have access to a printer at the moment.

I realize, once I have my OneZ running, it should be easy enough to print most, if not all the parts I need for the TrueUP. The nylon bits might be a challenge due to the cost/availability of that particular filament and if one has no need to print nylon otherwise, perhaps a nylon parts kit might be something to think of as well. I know I would be interested in that for sure, and those specific bits for the extruder might be hard to find as well.

I'm finding that things from China are taking a good 6 to 8 weeks to arrive at my address, whereas before it was only 3 to 4 weeks. This really does try ones patience.

Regards

Christian

29. Keith Davis

Keith Davis Veteran
    Builder

Resolution is just a matter of belts, pulleys and motors - if the framing and mounting is square, level and solid (which a OneZ is).

X & Y resolution is 0.0125mm if 20T pulley, GT2 belts and 200 step motors at 1/16 is used.
    Z axis on a OneZ moves 1mm per motor rotation, so X resolution is 0.005 per full step w/200 step motor.

30. Keith Davis

Keith Davis Veteran
    Builder

The changes I plan for TrueUp are to split the 4 large pieces so they can be printed on an 8x8 bed. The Nylon bushings - well - uhhh - well -- Nylon is not necessary. I'm using.selling Nylon just because "self-lubricating Nylon" sounds good marketing-wise, whereas "Don't fret about the PLA bushings, Z axis movement over the life of a printer is negligible and PLA bushings will not wear" doesn't sell as well. But it's the truth. My prototype which has over 1500 hours uses PLA bushings and is as tight as hour one. For a DIYer, I recommend PLA.

Keep in mind Chinese New Years is Jan 27 in 2017. That usually means a two to three week pause in shipments from China as half of the export workforce goes home for two weeks.