Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Onefinity CNC connected to Openbuilds controller

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by HarveyMatyas, Jul 5, 2022.

1. HarveyMatyas

Builder

Hi

I am in the process of connecting my HD3 Shark to an Openbuilds controller. I mentioned this to a friend of mine that has an Onefinity CNC. He was wondering if the Openbuilds controller would work with his machine. Has anyone do this?
    Thank you.
    If anyone is interested, I got my stepper motors and router hooked up to the Openbuilds control. Everything there is appears to be working great. I am waiting delivery of 3 limit switches that I ordered on Saturday. After I get that working I plan on enclosing everything. I don't know if anyone would be interested in how I did this.

2. John Raney

Builder

Yes I have a shark ii and wound be interested in how you do it

thanks

john raney

3. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Checkout docs.openbuilds.com/blackbox to learn everything about wiring up a BlackBox

4. HarveyMatyas

Builder

Hi John
    I don't know if the shark ii is the same as the HD3 Shark. The stepper motors are connected to a DB9 male connector. I belong to a Makerspace that had
    some surplus equipment that had female DB9 connectors that had screws to insert the wires into. On my steppers, the bottom 4 wires were connected to the steppers.
    I found this out with a voltmeter. I wired one pair as 6 and 7 and the other pair 8 and 9. I tried one stepper motor in the OpenBuilds controller, and the motor rotated.
    With all 3 wired the same, I connected them and they all rotated. I then calibrated them, I was afraid what may happen so I did the y axis first but before I wired them up I
    used the old HD3 controller to place all 3 axises in the middle. I had a little problem with the wizard so I watched a video where they showed calculations, I did the first one
    and when I ran it for 100 mm it was 50. So I halfed the numbers and the x and y worked. I did the same for the z but with further checking, I had to calculate the z axis by itself.
    I ordered limit switches but I will need to figure a way to install them. I also milled a block of aluminum to be my x,y and z touch plate. As you can tell I'm slowly working on the conversion.
    I currently belong to a makerspace that has everything I need if I have to make something so that is why it is taking me so long.

David the swarfer likes this.