Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

One-Trick Pony laser cutter build needed

Discussion in 'Laser Cutters' started by Matt Etch, Jan 14, 2021.

1. Matt Etch

Matt Etch New
    Builder

I need to design a desktop laser unit to laser cut a 4x4" (100mmx100) PE sticker label.
    Requirements:
    • Omit x/y motors whereby the head unit is static.
    • Clean cut the 2 mil white polyester w/ minimal scarring and blackening leaving liner "untouched"
    • Minimal mirror maintenence w/ neccasary exhaust
    • Mid to high speed cutting however each 4x4 sheet will be manually fed to a permanent jig/bay. No need for mark sensor align, etc. Perhaps 25-100 labels per day volume (low).
    • Options may include bluetooth where an industrial part barcode could be scanned with a smartphone and the serial # would be laser printed to PE. Vector text only, no artwork.
    • Also will be designing app to handle requirements, any thoughts on grbl, etc?

2. Kevon Ritter

Kevon Ritter Veteran
    Builder

Are you looking for advice or are you wanting someone else to do all of the research and work to give you a complete solution?

Do you even know what the cutting requirements are for PE? Is it safe to burn?

Christian James likes this.
  3. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor Master
    Builder

PE for stickers is polyethylene, not polyester, which should be laser safe. Probably diode cuttable, I'd check that. Simplifies matters a lot.

Other than that, this is quite a substantial project, but most of the work will be in the software side. Only thing is it's probably gonna be tricky to cut the sticker but not the backer, I'd put some R&D time into that.

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

unlikely to "cut" PE using a laser without it "melting" the edge and curling in on itself. Consider a Drag Knife instead, also solves the "liner" problem as you can adjust cut depth with perfection.

5. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Are you trying to make a bunch of tiny stickers out of each 4" by 4" polyester sticker? If not, you can buy 4" by 4" white polyester stickers in sheets for laser printing (which I assume you already knew . A laser printer can easily print a vector image on them and seems the easiest way to do the job.

6. Matt Etch

Matt Etch New
    Builder

Hi All, thank you so much for your replies. I am looking for an expert to research and design a proof of concept.
    This is indeed Polyester (PET) and is laser compatible. The supplier only gives advice on high-speed industrial 400watt galvo. I do have samples in my hand of these labels produced on the aformentioned laser and are clean with no melting or curling.
    The tolerances are too tight and would require user mantainence so we prefer laser.
    I know its a big project but will be "fruitful" when done. I plan to split project into three: hardware design with proof of concept w/ otc opensource software; software design; case and "jig" design from 3d print.
    BTW, I have tried laserpecker L1 Pro: The Most Compact & Safe & Easy to Use Laser Engraver and works somewhat but is underpowered I believe. Centerline focus works well but left/right edges of lasered text not as much. Perhaps I can hire an expert (even on upwork or something) and give more details with NDA.