Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

OB-XYZ+ Probe - Short?

Discussion in 'General Electronics' started by Nirvgas, Jul 10, 2024.

1. Nirvgas

Nirvgas New
    Builder

Hi all,

First post I've actually been somewhat successful with near 0 help thank god but I feel on this topic I have to come back to the big brains on the forums who ACTAULLY know what they're doing not some tinkerfanatic :D

I did have an xprov5 - ew, got rid got the x32 - wow super super easy super better for my use, I had an old xyz generic from china but never bothered with it - So i've invested in the xyz plus probe...

I've got illuminated LED's all the time now so impossible to probe without faulting out - I've removed any mishaps of shorts to frame from mounting points etc - and proved the short to non build(electrically / mechanically shorting)

I'm over the moon at this point until I plug the USB in to the computer to use OBControl...
    SHORTS BACK :D Lights are constantly illuminated woooooohoooooo!
    Any ideas what I'm best to look at at this point? I've configured the controller to be non-wifi enabled as I would have believed this to be less of a reliable method of controlling my router.

Please advise what information may be required to help diagnosed

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

All the time as in all the time?
    Or only once the magnet is clipped to the spindle/collet?

If its all the time all the time, check probe itself - disconnect it from controller, measure between SIG and GND for continuity. If continuity is found, contact store for replacement probe

If it only goes green when its touching the spindle, there is still an AC earth to DC GND short somewhere in the system (we had an interesting case with a faulti hdmi monitor with a leaky PSU a while back - leaked AC Earth to DC GND via PC's HDMI port, so its not always obvious) in which case trial and error unplugging can find the source