Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

OB and Wi-Fi Connectivity, GrblHal or FluidNC or???

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Robhoski, Jun 9, 2024.

1. Robhoski

Robhoski New
    Builder

I wonder if anyone could help me with my dilemma?

I built a CNC Plasma table and control it with an MKS DLC32 V2.1 board (with built in Wi-Fi) and Open Builds Control (which I really like). OB will run the g-code file just fine as long as the plasma machine (pilot arc) isn't turned on. Once the plasma cutter fires the CNC machine freaks out and ends up either stopping with the torch still firing, or it takes off in some random direction - and OB responds with a lost port error and I need to reconnect.

Obviously this is an EMI issue. I've tried numerous shielding, grounding, and isolation methods with no luck. However, if I load the g-code file onto an SD card, insert it in the control board's card slot, and run the g-code on the card from the "MK Laser" app on my phone, I can get a successful cut - but this also has drawbacks as the MK Laser app doesn't have z-axis control (I hear it used to) and the Z-axis height changes once the g-code starts to run. Messing with the MK Laser app to get it working this way is just a huge PIA and I would prefer to have the code being executed from inside OB.

What I would like to try is controlling the MKS DLC32 board via Wi-Fi through the Open Builds Control software, but OB doesn't find the board when I scan networks. I've read in the forums that OB uses "telnet?" and would need GrblHal to be installed on the MKS board. I've also read FluidNC might work. But this is where things start to get over my head. Nevertheless, I'm convinced I could flash my board with either GrblHal or FluidNC (maybe even old ESP?) but I would need to get some very simplistic instructions on what steps I need to take to accomplish this. I realize a better card with ethernet or parallel connectivity would be a smart alternative, but I'd really like to see if I could get this card to pull it off.

If you could assist me without boggling my mind with too much tech jargon (since I'm over 60 and this stuff will surely not attach to my brain neurons without many reiterations of the same info) I would very much appreciate it.

For me simple is like this: go to ___ and find ___ and open it and then navigate to ___ and place it in ___ by dragging to ___ and then... After you do that then go to ___ and download ___ and then open the folder named ___ and then... etc. Thanks!

Robert H. (a struggling newbie in the world of files and configurations and other seemingly complex operations)

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

HF start Inverter? If so. Get a Blowback

CONTROL will do telnet connection to grblHAL. FluidNC support is not done. FluidNC support · Issue #283 · OpenBuilds/OpenBuilds-CONTROL

Wifi unlikely to solve issues. Fix the SOURCE of the EMI (most likely a HF inverter)

3. Robhoski

Robhoski New
    Builder

Good advice. Wish I would have thought of that before buying a pilot arc machine since they are not all low frequency machines.

I just got done with some interesting further testing. I decided to disconnect the plasma pilot arc wire and also the torch lead from the plasma machine itself so that it was completely free of any possible connection to the table or control enclosure. I had the air line connected and triggered the torch fire button via a switch and lo and behold the computer and control board still lost connection and required a reconnect. So undoubtedly the activation of the arc gap inside the machine alone is enough to cause the interference. So I'm guessing the proximity of the plasma cutting machine is still too close to the electronics. It's about eight feet away but apparently this cheap plasma cutter is very poorly shielded from emitting disrupting EMI signals. I think I will need to work on building a faraday cage of some sort to put it inside of and then test it again. If all else fails I will have to invest in a blowback plasma cutter since as you suggested they produce far less HF.
    Thanks for the reply,
    Robert

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Sell the inverter and get a cheap LF. No workarounds will ever be foolproof around a HF. Believe us we tried. Might get it working today, but tomorrow it will fail again. HF is just far too nasty, 1970s tech

5. Robhoski

Robhoski New
    Builder

Will do. Thanks.