Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Not a discussion just one question for z-height on WorkBee

Discussion in 'Concepts and Ideas' started by Corey Applegate, Mar 30, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Corey Applegate

Builder

Wow lots of ideas to read on this one. A qustion that has been asked and I yet to see the answer to reference this post Ideas to increase Z-axis cutting height in the Workbee cnc ?

post #2 describes flipping the z slide. Why is this not the suggested configuration? Is there a significant loss in rigidity?

2. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Actually it's a gain in rigidity. The farther you reach the more rigidity you lose and when the whole axis moves you have to reach farther because the protruding bit requires an equivalent increase in throat depth just to have any usable capacity. As far as why, it's all personal choice. This design was created by Ryan Lock and that's how he designed it and thus it has since been carried through. If you look at Mark's LEAD machine design it uses the plunging axis. When you look at his high z modification to the LEAD system it uses the fixed axis/plunging spindle method. Why the change, who knows. Personally I accept the limitations of 1/4" bits. If you're cutting anything other than foam their max usefulness is less than 2" so why build a system with a 4" throat just to be able to cut 2" deep. Build it lower and tighter with a 2" throat and in the end you have a better machine.

3. Corey Applegate

Builder

I'm not looking at this from the total depth of cut but from size of stock. Now if this gains rigidity then it's a gain - gain.

Thanks