Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Newbie - Which CNC router to chose ? - build or buy ?

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by cncmystic, Aug 2, 2018.

1. cncmystic

cncmystic New
    Builder

Hi Stephen.
    Nice to see a new face in this discussion.
    I have ordered the Workbee 1000 x 1000 screw drive.
    The package arrived yesterday so I am excited now ..
    I need to rearrange my workshop a bit first as I need to make room for a 12200mm x 1200mm footprint and working space around this, then I have to make a nice sturdy flat base to fit this on. I have been looking at options for this and as I have some 50 x 75 rectangular tubing salvaged from a big green house bracing struts, I will weld that up this week to form a solid (torsion box like ) base for the Workbee. I can then prop that on a metal frame that I already have in the workshop (again, salvaged).
    The C-beam uses similar profiles to the Workbee.
    Please note that this is a moving bed machine so you need to allow room for this in your footprint.
    One thing I did not like about the design of the C-beam machine is that the bed is not supported on the edges, so I would be concerned about torsion in the bed as you plunge, though to be fair, most CNC work is horizontal and plunge speeds can be kept to a minimum to prevent much of those forces (This is my opinion, other's opinions may vary).
    Maybe I am OCD about this but deflection is the worst enemy of CNC routers.
    I deliberated quite a bit about this point whilst chosing which CNC to go with and what configuration)
    I will setup my new workbee initially in the highest working position, ie nearest the router to minimize deflection and have ordered an extra two waste boards supports as again, the default configuration comes with three supports and the edges owould not

2. Stephen Cain

Builder

Thanks for the response. So I took the plunge and ordered a C-Beam from ooznest. The choice was driven by size of foot print as my work space is limited, I have followed the threads and am aware of concerns over the lack of support on the edges and my thoughts are to make some modifications as I develop my skills in creating things using CNC. This is certainly a very helpful community so cannot wait for the package to arrive. :)

3. Srednasoft

Builder

Hi,
    I’m building the Kyo Sphinx type cnc machine 600x800 with higher Y-axis side plates.
    I have ordered the water cooled 2.2kw VFD spindle, but now I’m worrying about the weight.
    What do you think? Is this spindle to heavy?

I have some nice milling hits with shank 8mm, so I have to have the ER16 or ER20 to use them.