Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Newbie question and help please . . .

Discussion in 'Laser Cutters' started by Andy Brown, Jul 30, 2021.

1. Andy Brown

Builder

HI,
    I have built a small laser engraver using an Arduino Uno and a Protoneer v3.51 CNC shield.
    I have uploaded GRBL 1.1h to the Arduino and am using LaserGRBL to test it.

I have a few problems:

1. I have a limit switch at each end of both X and Y axis. I can move the laser head back, forward, left and right using the jog buttons in LaserGRBL, but when I hit home it just locks up.

2. Whenever I connect the 12v PSU to the machine the laser comes on at full power. I'm currently testing without the laser plugged in.

When I start LaserGRBL it says it's locked and I have to unlock it before I can move anything.

I've attached the configuration file from LaserGRBL if that helps.

Can someone please point me in the right direction ?

Thanks in advance,

Andy

Attached Files:

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

As it doesn't have a Z axis, and Z homes first. See Frequently Asked Questions · gnea/grbl Wiki to recompile without Z axis homing

Normal, if homing is Enabled. See Grbl v1.1 Configuration · gnea/grbl Wiki and Grbl v1.1 Commands · gnea/grbl Wiki

Either laser wired incorrectly, or see Grbl v1.1 Laser Mode · gnea/grbl Wiki
    Or, if you have a chinese Fake CNC shield (not an original Protoneer) know that is a Grbl 0.8 shield, and the pinout is incorrect for Grbl 1.1 - spindle PWM pin is not on the pin marked as such...

3. Andy Brown

Builder

Hi Peter,
    Many thanks for your reply and advice.
    I had just downloaded the hex file and flashed that, so I'll try changing the config.h and try that.
    I think the laser module is wired correctly as connecting the signal wire to +5v switches the laser on and connecting it to ground switches it off. It's only when connected to the shield that the problem arrises. I may of course have it on the wrong pin on the shield. Do you know what pin is used for the laser ? It is a genuine Protoneer board, not a knock off.

Thanks again,

Andy

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Then you can approach Protoneer for support and I am sure he has documentation for the boards too, showing the pinouts. The fakes has it wrong, his latest has the right labelling.

PS: use the official gnea/Grbl 1.1 - LaserGrbl is not Grbl.
    Grbl 1.1 has a full laser mode:

maybe LaserGrbl has the pinout screwey :)

5. Andy Brown

Builder

Hi Peter,
    Sorry to be a pest here. I downloaded "grbl-1.1h.2019082"
    Added the libraries.
    Opened grblUpload.ico and included the grbl library.
    When I compile I get errors as below:

In file included from C:\Users\andy.brown.ANDY\Documents\Arduino\libraries\grbl/config.h:30:0,
    from C:\Users\andy.brown.ANDY\Desktop\grbl-1.1h.20190825\grbl\examples\grblUpload\grblUpload.ino:1:
    C:\Users\andy.brown.ANDY\Documents\Arduino\libraries\grbl/grbl.h:68:4: error: #error "Required HOMING_CYCLE_0 not defined."
    #error "Required HOMING_CYCLE_0 not defined."
    ^~~~~
    C:\Users\andy.brown.ANDY\Documents\Arduino\libraries\grbl/grbl.h:108:4: error: #error "WCO refresh must be greater than one."
    #error "WCO refresh must be greater than one."
    ^~~~~
    C:\Users\andy.brown.ANDY\Documents\Arduino\libraries\grbl/grbl.h:111:4: error: #error "Override refresh must be greater than zero."
    #error "Override refresh must be greater than zero."
    ^~~~~
    exit status 1
    Error compiling for board Arduino Uno.

All I did was change the two defines for the homing to what you suggested. Even with the original config.h I get the same error.

Any idea ? I take it that it's something I'm doing wrong.

Cheers,

Andy

6. Peter Van Der Walt

You shouldn't include the library to a sketch. Use the correct method (Files > Examples > Grbl > GrblUpload) as described in step 4: Compiling Grbl · gnea/grbl Wiki

or, if you just want to Disable Z homing, easier way:
    OpenBuildsCONTROL > Wizards and tools > Firmware Flashing tool > Select 2 Axes, select Uno, Select port > Flash

7. Peter Van Der Walt

Like so:

upload_2021-7-30_17-36-57.png

8. Andy Brown

Builder

Hi Peter,

I did as you suggested and got the sketch uploaded and the machine now homes properly.

I also noticed that I hadn't enabled "Laser Mode" in Grbl Settings ($32=1)so did that and now the laser switches on and off with the M3 and M5 codes.

Many thanks for all your help,

Cheers,
    Andy