Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Newbie looking for suggestions

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by gorrilladiver, Feb 20, 2019.

Tags:
  1. gorrilladiver

Builder

I'm looking to purchase a CNC Router kit from the Openbuilds parts store but I'm not sure of what I will need. Other than the cutting areas and prices I'm not really sure of the pros and cons of each model.

I would like to do is route some plywood for some woodworking projects which I'm sure all of the kits would be adequate for, but I'm mostly curious about routing aluminum.

I have designed some brackets for a few motorcycles that I'm currently restoring, and would like to know which kit would be recommended for cutting .25 inch or maybe even .5 inch thick aluminum. Currently the largest bracket I have planned is about 6x18 inches, and none of the brackets would have any kind of intricate details to cut.

I don't really have to time to custom build a kit so I would prefer buy one the Machine Bundles.

looking forward to hearing everyone's recommendations

2. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

The OpenBuilds Workbee 1050 (40" x 20") would probably be your best option. The reason being the shorter the gantry, the stiffer the system and stiffness is extremely important when cutting harder materials.

gorrilladiver likes this.
  3. gorrilladiver

Builder

thanks for the suggestion