Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Newbie cnc diode laser question

Discussion in 'Laser Cutters' started by chuck english, Dec 30, 2020.

1. chuck english

Builder

Hello all and thanks for input. Are the adjustable diode lasers much easier/better to use than a fixed beam laser? Do you adjust the fixed lasers with your z height from the stock? If this is how they are adjusted, I don’t see much benefit if an adjustable laser, but am I wrong? Is the open builds diode laser adjustable? What is the high definition lens that is in the description?

thanks.

2. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

An adjustable laser (powered z axis) would be beneficial because you could focus the beam on your "poil board" then move the laser up the height of your work piece so the beam is focused at the right height. I have a CO2 laser and have a 50 mm spacer (spray paint can cap:thumbsup:) which is the focal length of my lens. I put my workpiece on an adjustable bed that I have to manually move up and down. I plan to automate it in the future. The OpenBuilds Acro has a manually adjustable Z plate. If you are trying to cut with a diode laser. then you may want a z axis that will lower the focal point for each pass since I diode will require more passes for cutting. The Acro has been modified by several people her to have a moving Z.

TL;DR If you mostly are engraving on items that are a consistent thickness such as tiles, coasters, et., then you probably do not need a powered - easily adjustable - z axis.

3. romamaker

romamaker Well-Known
    Builder

Like Giarc mentioned, I use my Diode laser to engrave items that are vary greatly in thickness, from a few mm to several cm. The laser has a specific focal length, and therefore distance, it needs to be from the work surface. So I modified my ACRO (which has an adjustable Z, but manual, by loosening some bolts and manually repositioning) with a powered Z axis to more easily focus the laser. I 3D printed a sort of cone, that snaps on to my laser, which allows me to quickly and easily zero my X, Y, and Z axis for the workpiece. And while I don't cut with mine, cutting with a diode does usually require multiple passes, and you should be readjusting (lowering) the focal point of the laser with each pass.

4. chuck english

Builder

I currently have a cnc router that I am going to attach a diode laser to. The z axis moves up and down with nema23s and is controlled with the black box. If the z axis moves up and down, I assume that is your focusing adjustment of the laser? You either move up or down with the z axis to get the laser at the right focal length? Thanks guys!

5. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor Master
    Builder

My diode has a screw-barrel focus on the lens itself. I use Z pretty much entirely to micro-adjust focus and dial in material thickness.

6. chuck english

Builder

I was gifted a chinese diode laser, and I have been playing with it over the past week....They are really cool, but I have a lot to learn! My CNC machine already has a moveable z axis powered by nema 23s. I am still not sure I understand exactly about focusing this thing. The laser came with an aluminum barrel that I assume is the correct distance from the laser to the stock for it to be focused??? Would this be correct? At this height the dot on the stock is pretty much at its smallest. Isn't this what you want?
    I am using lightburn software right now. How to I make it know that I have a z axis, and that it can lower each pass in order to cut?

Also, I want to build/buy some type of shield around the laser made out of the material that blocks the harmful rays to your eyes. What is this material? Can you direct me where I should by either the material or an already made shield? The laser I have is 15w 450nm.
    Thanks for all the help!

7. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor Master
    Builder

Yep

JTech Photonics sells laser shielding. Don't cheap out and buy orange acrylic, not the same thing.

8. chuck english

Builder

Thanks! If you purchase the laser shielding and build a surround around the laser; do you still need the goggles? couldn't this be build down so this could be lowered down to the correct "focal point" of the laser?

Also, phototonics has the goggles that are good for 445 nm. My laser says 450nm.......are these the same?

#8 chuck english, Jan 5, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
  9. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor Master
    Builder

Personally I'm building it in as an enclosure window so the beam is fully enclosed. If you have a fixed focal point that can't be adjusted with a screw barrel, then building a surround is certainly an option. I'd probably use that instead of glasses whilst working generally around the shop, but if I was at the machine I'd have the glasses on as well. I've seen that recommended in a lot of places, it may even be OSHA guidelines too, it's been a while since I looked at those. Shielding is generally intended to prevent stray reflections rather than protect the user looking directly at the dot, I think. Certainly the safest way of treating it.

10. chuck english

Builder

So, if I build a surround all the way around the laser, how does the smoke and fumes get out?

11. ljvb

ljvb Well-Known
    Builder

You make sure you build extraction into the case..

12. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Wearing glasses when nearby is always smart. The reflected light is still dangerous, but just not as much. I do not know the numbers, for a Chinese diode laser. However, I do know for a nLight12kW Fiber laser the reflected laser light from cutting is dangerous to unshielded eyes for about 30 feet. Therefore, the reflected light hazard from the diode laser should fall somewhere between 0 and 30 feet -- if I had to take a guess.:D

sharmstr likes this.
  13. romamaker

romamaker Well-Known
    Builder

There are various approaches to ventilation. I went fairly simple for my ACRO / Diode laser build. I've got a couple of large volume fans in the back, which pushes the smoke / fumes through flexible ventilation hose attached, which vent to the outside.
    Box 1.jpg Box 3.jpg

14. chuck english

Builder

I am just a little confused. I want to be able to build something like the attached picture for my diode laser with the laser shielding from jphotonics. However I just don't understand if the encolsure goes all the way down to the stock that you are burning (in order to set your z height/focul point of laser); how do the fumes get out of the small enclosure around the laser? Thanks for all the help!

Attached Files:

15. chuck english

Builder

Could one side of the enclosure be a small computer fan that sucks the fumes out?

16. romamaker

romamaker Well-Known
    Builder

Ah... I think some of us were confused as to what you were asking. I had when you were talking about an enclosure, you meant the entire machine. You're talking about just the laser head itself.

I don't have the Jtech, but I would not think that surround goes all the way down to the work surface. There's going to be some space there. And that fan most likely isn't puttling air out, it's pushing it in. You want some positive air pressure going down around where the laser is hitting the work surface.... this is going to blow away the smoke, dust, etc from the working area, as well as to put out any flames that could pop up on you. You would then need a larger ventilation fan that will then clear out the smoke and fumes to the outside world.

17. chuck english

Builder

Got you..... so the enclosure can't go all the way to the stock.... If I want something to set to be able to lower my laser to the correct focal point: it will not need to completely enclose the laser?

18. romamaker

romamaker Well-Known
    Builder

Right... the smoke can dust can foul up the laser lens. You wan that air to blow that stuff out of the way, so it doesn't ling around the lens and foul it up.

I'd also be leery about having a permanent attachment that goes all the way down to the work surface, even if not fully enclosed. All it will take is for your material to have a slight raised spot, then that's going to catch and either break off or move the workpiece and destroy your work.

19. romamaker

romamaker Well-Known
    Builder

I don't have a better picture right off, but if you look at the attached picture, you can see what I did. If I need to adjust my z height, there's a plastic cone I snap on to my laser. It actually comes down to a small point...I think 1mm. So I can use it to no only line up my x and y, but adjust z as well. Then, once I've got those set, I pull the "cone" off. pic4.jpg

20. chuck english

Builder

Awesome info. thanks! So, how do you shield the laser from your eyes? just with goggles?

21. romamaker

romamaker Well-Known
    Builder

I've got the entire assembly in an enclosure. (See the above pics I posted...) There are two doors on top missing from the pics. Long run, I'd like to have some laser shielding / acrylic windows in those lids. But that stuff is expensive. I wear goggles when I'm first starting up a job, with the lids open. But once it's running, I close the lids. I've got a camera (a Wyze v2 Camera) inside the enclosure that I use can use to monitor things from my phone. I throw the goggles back on any time I'm going to open up the lids.

22. chuck english

Builder

I’m adding this laser on to a 4x8 cnc router. It would be hard to completely enclose the entire machine. I love the cone idea like you have. I am in the process of 3D printing a mount that will hold both the router and laser. It is printing right now 1-1/2 day print.... i currently have the laser temporarily “rigged” on to my router mount just trying to learn the basics of the laser....it’s pretty poorly designed at the moment. I’m pretty embarrassed to attach picture . I am trying to come up with a way to add a cone like you have and an enclosure with the shielding. How do you remove your “cone”? You take your z axis down to the stock and once it is set you raise back up: remove cone and go back to the correct z point? Thanks again!

Attached Files:

23. chuck english

Builder

This is the plan for the 3D printed version.

Attached Files:

24. romamaker

romamaker Well-Known
    Builder

Yep!

25. chuck english

Builder

so on the shroud that jtech photonics makes (like the one pictured I attached in earlier posts) is the fan in the picture to blow the smoke out from within the shroud? Also, will the shielding I purchased from there give better protection if it is doubled? Thanks!