Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Newbie clamp question

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Stickers73, Apr 24, 2020.

1. Stickers73

Builder

Hi all, I've purchased a 1500 x 1500 Workbee from Ooznest and am super excited for it to arrive ( end of may ).

Just looking around at other posts and ideas online... getting bits together that I may need while waiting. Was wondering if anyone has tried using the Kreg bench clamps on the router bed? The ones that dial in and out the clamp arm itself. Seem like a good idea, just seeing if anyone has had a good or bad experience rather than buy them and waste money!

Attached Files:

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

They should work, but just a genetic tip, clamps that push from the sides tend to bow thin stock - something to keep in mind (consider using it as one of your many clamping options. Simplest being just screw the stock to the spoilboard, superglue-and-bluetape trick, etc )

Alex Chambers likes this.
  3. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

I usually use (blue) masking tape and superglue, but recently I used cam clamps on the sides of a scrap of mdf to trial run a 3d carve. Did the roughing toolpath, had lunch and came back to do the finishing path. Because I had taken the surface off the mdf it had shrunk by 1/2 mm - didn't notice until I started cutting that it was now loose in the clamps - blamed the clamps at first until I checked measurements. Timber based materials can change size and shape quite a bit when you cut into them. :banghead:
    Alex.

4. Stickers73

Builder

Thanks for you replies, advise and suggestions... totally new to this so will be a lot of questions and learning involved. I usually buy in cnc cut bits for signage, so it will be nice to try and do them in house!

Alex Chambers likes this.
  5. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Have fun! And yes, this is the place to ask questions.
    Alex.

Giarc likes this.