Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Newbie build - spindle connection

Discussion in 'OpenBuilds Forum Help' started by dbdb, Jul 30, 2021.

1. dbdb

dbdb New
    Builder

Help? I did get it build and can jog it around and home all. Wow, close to done? I thought I could just plug in a spindle to my BlackBox and download the OB First-Cut GCode and call it done. Maybe, that is still true, I just don't know. I have a simple 500W Air Cooled 0.5kw Milling Motor with two wires Red/Black.
    1) Just straight wire spindle to BB as shown? docs:blackbox:connect-vfd [OpenBuilds Documentation]
    2) Setup the spindle separate and connect Mach3 output to BB? Any hope? Any risk to BB? (see attached Image)

I have no idea where to go next, maybe just buy a cheap new router to get up and running?

Please give advise on how to cut a piece of wood. Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Looks like it. BB > Spindle controller > Spindle.

Although on some of these there is a jumper to switch to between Potentiometer and 0-10v mode too - just check on that

Thats an input not an output

Not if the diagram's correct (; but sometimes 3rd party parts can fail at having correct documentation

Those DC spindles are incredibly underpowered, so you may want to get a DeWALT DWP611 Compact Router anyway - to get useful work out of your machine

3. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team

No on 1), Yes on 2)
    Spindle>power supply/controller module>BlackBox. Do not wire the spindle directly to the BlackBox as it doesn't provide power.

4. dbdb

dbdb New
    Builder

Thank you for your (both) replies.
    As I understand your feedback, best course would be, setup the spindle & controller and connect the "Mach3" output to the BB.
    Maybe the OB Control & BB will signal the spindle for something useful, maybe nothing. If nothing useful, disconnect BB connection
    to spindle controller. Very little risk to BB because the connection is just signal, not power.

Spindle at 500W is incredibly underpowered and I am likely to step-up to a stand-alone router in the near future. Which also
    has no need for the BB connection. Still confused what the BB connection is for? Signal to what? Maybe questions for another day.

Thanks much, dbdb

5. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team

With a router, turns on at start of job and off at end. Otherwise you have to do that manually

With spindles, turn on/off but can also control the RPM (chipload is a function of feedrate and rpm).