Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

New Workbee can not home

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Gina Botfield, Jun 1, 2019.

1. Gina Botfield

Builder

Hi, I am complete newbie to all things CNC and have just made up the Workbee 750 x 750 belt, I have got as far as homing the machine and it will not work. I can jog it in all the correct directions with no issue but for some reason it will not home at all. I am not sure if I have to do anything with the head position on the Duet controller or if I am doing something wrong, I am using a windows 7 laptop and have updated all of the firmware and macros as per the instructions, thanks

2. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Hi @Gina Botfield, could you please go to settings/system settings/edit config.g in Duet Web Control. Select everything and copy/paste it into notepad. Save it (*.txt , not all files) and then upload it here - I need to check a couple of your settings.
    Alex.

#2 Alex Chambers, Jun 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
  3. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

PS - welcome to the forum!
    Alex.

4. Gina Botfield

Builder

Thank you Alex, here is the file

Attached Files:

5. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Ok, your config.g settings are almost correct. Did you change the M564 line? - Yours reads M564 S1 H0 - the default from Ooznest is M564 S1 H1. (don't change it yet)
    If you prod one of the limit switches does the Duet Web Control (Machine Control) show that switch changing from orange to blue?
    Alex.

6. Gina Botfield

Builder

Yes we changed it from H1 to H0. I have clicked one of the limit switches and nothing changes on the machine control, however on the machine itself the red light turns out when the switch is pressed

7. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

When you made the changes to config.g when setting up the firmware did you definitely use the system settings editor to do it and have you restarted the Duet since (or clicked on "Apply Settings" - the Duet should ask you to restart after changing a system file, so I assume you have. I also assume you are clicking on "Home All" to test the homing?
    Alex.

8. Gina Botfield

Builder

Yes, I used the system editor tab between list items tab and machine properties tab in settings and I restarted the duet after all changes. I also did use 'Home all' to test the homing

9. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Are any of the axes homing (in particular does the Z axis home?)
    Alex.

10. Gina Botfield

Builder

no none of them are, I can jog them without any issues but they will not home at all

11. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

I am a bit puzzled by this - M564 S1 stops you jogging past X0,Y0,Z0, H0 allows you to jog any axis without homing. If you set M564 S1 H1 it should stop you jogging the machine unless you have homed all axes. according to the Duet WiKi nothing you have done should stop the homeall macro from working.
    I have to take a break now (teas ready), but I'll come back to this in about an hour.
    Could you go to the system settings tab and check that you do have a homeall macro in your sys folder?
    Alex.

12. Gina Botfield

Builder

Thank you, should the homeall macro be in the macros directory, or the systems editor? these are the 4 axis.g files from system editor

Attached Files:

13. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

You should have copies in both. You can run the ones in the g code folder from the console as G code files. The ones in the sys folder are the ones that the home buttons on the Duet GUI access. I know this because I changed mine - see Workbee with Duet controller macro changes (but not until we've got the homing issue sorted)
    Alex.
    When you click on "homeall" are you getting any error messages - pop up from the bottom of the Duet Web Control GUI in red?

14. Gina Botfield

Builder

I do not have any copy in my macros called homeall only in my system editor. I do not get any error when I try to home just a noise and small jolt from all axis, Gina

15. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Hi @Gina Botfield, exactly what (if anything) happens when you click on homeall - you answered this while I was typing - I assume you are doing this with the axes near the centre of their travel.
    I think my homing macros are in the sys file and there are copies in the g-codes folder (my PC is in my attic and my workbee in the cellar so I have to keep running up and down to check where things are).
    One last thing to check - are you in machine co-ordinates when you do this and not workplace co-ordinates.
    Alex.:confused::confused:

16. Gina Botfield

Builder

I have tried homeall from several places just to see if anything works, sometimes it just jolts and other times it sounds as though it is trying to move and it being stopped, makes a constant noise so I turn off the emergency button. Is it anything to do with the head position in machine status?

17. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Jog your machine so that it is a short distance away from all limit switches (including jogging Z down about halfway). Turn off the Duet. Turn it back on and then click homeall. Watch carefully to see if any axis moves. If no axis moves make sure you are in machine co-ordinates and jog the machine (carefully) back, right and up until it hits the limit switches. Make a note of the head position - it should be X550 Y520 Z94. Jog the machine Front, Left (don't jog down on Z - you will hit your spoiler board before you run out of movement). The machine should stop at X0 Y0 Z94. Be careful not to go too far in either direction - do the last steps as very small jog movements. If you right click in one of the jog boxes (eg X jog +10) you can change the distance for that step (it will change the -10 as well).
    Let me know what happens. If this doesn't give me a clue what is happening we will have to call on Ryan Locke, but let me know what those head position readings are first.
    Alex.:banghead:

18. Gina Botfield

Builder

Ok thank you Alex, I will give that a go now and let you know

19. Gina Botfield

Builder

Hi Alex,
    Ok so I have put the machine near to the limit switches and then clicked homeall. No axis moved just made a noise as though it wanted to move and all head positions were at x550 y220 z94. I have now tried to jog it back to the limit switch and it is giving me an error below and would not jog any further

For the Y axis I have this error
    !M120
    G91
    G1 Y10 F6000
    Error G0/G1: outside machine limits

And for the X axis I have this error
    !M120
    G91
    G1 X10 F6000
    M121
    Error G0/G1: outside of the machine limits

The machine now thinks it is homed for some reason and it isn't

Gina

20. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

In config.g you have;
    ; Drives
    M569 P0 S1 ; Drive 0 goes forwards
    M569 P1 S1 ; Drive 1 goes forwards
    M569 P2 S0 ; Drive 2 goes forwards
    M569 P3 S0 ; Drive 3 goes forwards

it should be;
    ; Drives
    M569 P0 S0 ; Drive 0 goes forwards
    M569 P1 S1 ; Drive 1 goes forwards
    M569 P2 S0 ; Drive 2 goes forwards
    M569 P3 S0 ; Drive 3 goes forwards
    Alex.

21. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

When you jog X- should move left
    Y- should move away from the limit switche to the front of the machine
    Z- should move down

22. Gina Botfield

Builder

When we did the jog test to make sure all axis were going in the correct direction, the X axis was going in the wrong direction so it said on the oozenest instructions here Testing Your WorkBee

23. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Which way does the X axis go if you jog X- (left or right looking from the front of the machine)

24. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

This is the back of the machine (mine is leadscrew so motors will look a bit different)
    [​IMG]

25. Gina Botfield

Builder

If I jog minus it goes to the left facing the machine (the side the router goes on). The minus for the Y comes towards you facing the machine and the minus for the Z goes down, hope this is helping :nailbite:

26. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Hi @Gina Botfield, I have sent Ryan Locke an email linking him to your thread. I can't see what you have done wrong and at this time of night the brain cells (both of them)  are beginning to shut down. It is bound to be something really simple so I am sure Ryan will sort it out. If I think of anything else I will post here tomorrow.
    Alex. :D:D

27. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

That's right Gina - see my last post - time to take a break and sleep on it.
    Alex. :banghead:

28. Gina Botfield

Builder

Thanks for all your help Alex, I hope your right, I was so pleased that I had built the machine and got to the last thing to do and this happens, have a nice rest of your evening, thanks again Gina

29. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

I wonder what this means in the latest release notes for the Ooznest firmware " Fixed homing files to remove restricted movement due to steps/mm rounding". You said you updated the firmware, so can I assume you updated to 1.0.4?

30. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Hi @Gina Botfield, what happened when you did step 4 of Testing Your WorkBee - testing limit switches?
    Alex.
    PS if you look back at message 19 you said that the X axis was at 550. According to your machine size it should have been touching the X axis limit switch. The homeall macro should still have worked.
    PPS, you said the position according to the Duet Web Control was X550, Y220, Z94. Was that correct or a typo for Y520? And were non of the limit switches activated at the time?
    Alex.

#30 Alex Chambers, Jun 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2019