Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

New to cnc . Any free encodes on forum ?

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Tom Bellfoy, Mar 21, 2020.

1. Tom Bellfoy

Builder

I am brand new to cnc. Waiting for my open builds lead 1010 kit to arrive. I am in Canada, kit waiting in by ready to be picked up. not traveling due to Clovid19.
    Was wondering if there are any free encode files that can be downloaded.
    Also wondering if open builds free software can be used off line since don't have black box yet.
    Tom

2. Tom Bellfoy

Builder

Spell check screwed up
    Kit is in new York waiting to be picked up.
    Gcodes not encodes
    Tom

3. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Your best way to use the time until your machine arrives would be getting used to the cad/cam software you plan to use. What were you thinking of using?
    Alex.

4. Tom Bellfoy

Builder

Hi Alex. Thanks for responding.
    I had a quick look at fusion 360 and will likely go that route. I have no idea how to go from there to using the open builds software. Big learning curve ahead.

5. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Fusion 360 has a steep learning curve, but it's worth it in my view - especially as its self-contained - cad and cam combined. Fusion will produce grbl compatible g-code and you can us Openbuilds Control (free software) to send the g-code to the blackbox. Fusion is free for hobby Use (earn less than $1,000/year from it) but expensive if you have to pay for it.

6. Tom Bellfoy

Builder

Alex:
    In your opinion
    Which one would I be better off starting with - since I am so very new to CAD would I be better off to learn sketchup instead of Fusion 360 ?
    I'm not a young buck anymore, just trying to make it easier on myself
    Tom

7. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Not young myself :D - retired some years ago lol. Started learning Fusion just over a year ago. For fairly simple stuff - profiles (cutting out 2D shapes) and pockets I can do almost anything I want.
    Eg; Y Drag Chain fixed end mounting bracket

Tramming aid

Or have a look at my designs on Thingiverse; https://www.thingiverse.com/HalifaxAlex/designs

If I can do it anyone can! I haven't used sketchup much - didn't like it, but lots of people find it easy to use. I also use Vectric V-carve, but that costs. There are lots of other alternatives as well - if you search the forum for cad or cam you will find lots of suggestions.

Alex.

#7 Alex Chambers, Mar 21, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
  8. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

What I like about Fusion 360 is how easy it is to make .dxf files for my CAM software of choice (Estlcam). I can make one 3D part and print it with a 3D printer to see if it will fit/work, then I can take the 2D .dxf file to the CNC machine to cut a permanent piece. I do use Sketchup as well, but for me it is not as intuitive. The mirror function in Fusion makes making plates with lots of holes in much easier for me.

9. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Tom, Instructables has some great classes for free. They focus on Fusion 360 since it is owned by Autodesk. Both the CNC class and the 3D printing class start out showing how to design parts in Fusion 360. CNC Class

Although focused on the 3D printer, lesson 2 is a great tutorial on ths "sculpt" tool in Fusion. Beginner 3D Printing Class

The nice thing about the fact Instructables is owned by Autodesk is that your Autodesk account - which you will have when you sign up for Fusion360 - works for both (along with the other free Autodesk products like TinkerCad).