Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

New open builds XYZ touch probe

Discussion in 'General Electronics' started by GTHMCTY1, Apr 14, 2020.

1. GTHMCTY1

GTHMCTY1 New
    Builder

Do you guys offer the macro to use if you already have a an xyz probe hooked up to the BB that has xyz capabilities already?

I may be asking the question wrong but I noticed on the XYZ probe that you guys offered, there’s three wires going into the black box whereas I only have two is it possible to adapt mine in order to use XYZ probe features that this one is capable of by using a macro of some sort?
    I have this ...Dog River Tools CNC Touch Probe Plate, X Y Z Axis Tool Setting, for Carbide Motion and Shapeoko 3 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TBRFQWQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_k-ILEbV67QPR5

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Checkout software.openbuilds.com v1.0.223 of CONTROL

3. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Journeyman
    Builder

Will the XYZ probe work with XPro V3 board?

4. LARRY RADCLIFFE

Builder

Ok this is awesome I see that I can use my touch plate....question with the new software version 1.0.223 I do not see where I can enter the height of my touch plate? It completes the XYZ function but when I go to carve the bit never touches the wood in essence it it "air carving"?
    I see the size I can enter of my touch plate and I see "offsets" also how can I reduce the amount that after it checks the Z it goes over to the X position as if I had a bigger touch plate than what I actually have.....is that what I am supposed to use the offsets for?

#4 LARRY RADCLIFFE, Apr 15, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
  5. Peter Van Der Walt

Z offset = thickness of plate
    Offset from edge of plate to zero point of each axis...

6. Peter Van Der Walt

#6 Peter Van Der Walt, Apr 15, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
  7. LARRY RADCLIFFE

Builder

Thank you Peter I will play around with it tomorrow to get it dialed in!

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  8. LARRY RADCLIFFE

Builder

Ok I played around with it late this evening, and I have a few things that I noticed
    BTW running the latest software update 1.0.226

1. using the openbuilds touch plate setting the XYZ zero works great but it is for the wrong height touch plate (my touch plate is 22mm thick)

2. When using the custom setting for the touch plate using the XYZ setting... I adjust the Z offset to the height of my touch plate which is 22mm.....after Z zero the X zero plunges to deep where the chuck hits the touch plate and cause an error........is there a way to adjust that?

Last night using the custom setting I was not able try the new Z offset (22mm for my touch plate) because I asked me to update the software but prior to that the XYZ setting worked other than the "air carve"....any thoughts?

9. Peter Van Der Walt

Bright video lights wash out the gentle green glow from underneath the probe :)

Sooner than the normal soon.

12mm
    That is quite a tall plate, will see what I can do for you in a future update.

Mark Carew likes this.
  10. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team

Thanks for the
    yes it will please see Doc here
    OpenBuilds® Documentation

Steveathome likes this.
  11. GTHMCTY1

GTHMCTY1 New
    Builder

Yeah I purchased over a year ago...I think I need to update to a slimmer version LOL

12. Batcrave

Batcrave Journeyman
    Builder

Ooo! That was the other other question! What color they were. Green is good.

Also, I assume control of the LEDs is entirely self-contained, rather than dependent on receiving a signal (other than power) from the BlackBox? (just want to make sure I won't have to leave it behind if I switch controllers later)

This is exciting. I wonder if I'll actually have my VFD installed in time to break test it.

That is exactly what I wanted to hear. That should handle any endmill I can fit in an ER16 collet.

Is it, though? 22mm is only 2mm thicker than the standard/boring/not-plus/minus plate from the parts store.

Granted, having used one of those for a couple years, they are kinda inconveniently tall... but not unexpectedly so. The "plunge after zero" sounds like something else, though... something my pre-caffeinated brain is hiding in a cloud of fog. Maybe a mis-set machine zero?

-Bats
    (Fog, Brain Fog... Fogg, Phileas Fogg... Foggg... maybe I better find some caffeine)

13. Peter Van Der Walt

Unexpected for an XYZ probe, expected of our Z plate, but will be adopting a change for that (instead of dropping to a certain Z height, might be better to drop to a certain relative-top-of-plate z height for custom probes

Correct!

Batcrave likes this.
  14. Batcrave

Batcrave Journeyman
    Builder

Ahhh... gotcha! That's what I was getting confused by.

-Bats
    (what did I say about that caffeine?)

15. Peter Van Der Walt

In an upcoming version (1.0.229 or later) the routine now drops down to (height of the plate where we touched off Z - 6mm) instead of down to Z0 (which is [height of the plate where we touched off Z - thickness of plate])