Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

New interface not turning on

Discussion in 'Interfaces' started by Apz, Sep 9, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Apz

Apz New
    Builder

Hi there,

Just received my interface the other day here in Australia. Now I have connected it all up and getting nothing from the interface. It's a simple thing to do so had no issues following.

Now even with everything changed in place after the interface not working I thought I'd try the usb without the aux plugged in and the usb still works to computer.

I have read in other posts about the muscle board needing replace. Is this what seems to be the problem here also? Everything was wired up correctly with no shorting.

Interface to computer via usb and the unit turns on but obviously needs blackbox to completely turn on. But was just making sure the interface was working.

What do I do?

Attached Files:

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

3. Apz

Apz New
    Builder

Na only the power light is on. Then I disconnect the aux and plug usb cable back and run openbuilds control like normal before I got the interface and no issues. Have contacted support waiting for there response. Thanks Peter

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Yes, that is indicative of a blown 5v regulator. With USB providing 5V its not as noticable (though you will see other symptoms from the voltage drop), disconnecting USB, no more 5V rail available because of a damaged regulator, and thus not booting up anymore. While you wait on the store, do think if there was any wiring mishaps while setting it up initially, if not, recheck current wiring for causes of shorts (anything that shorts V+ to GND) so it gets fixed before you connect a new BlackBox and have it suffer the same fate :)

5. Apz

Apz New
    Builder

Will do. I'm pretty comfortable that I did everything correctly first time round. Never hurts to triple check. Machine has not missed a beat till now. Thanks Peter, appreciate your time

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  6. Apz

Apz New
    Builder

One more thing. Bit embarrassing to ask but better to ask than not. I took the back cover off the interface (not blackbox) just being nosey. For some reason I took the a jumper off one of the pins and wasn't paying attention to where I took it from. Im sure it was on the 5v aux 5v usb pins. Can you please confirm as I don't want to plug it in anything until I have it back where it came from

Attached Files:

7. Peter Van Der Walt

8. Apz

Apz New
    Builder

9. Apz

Apz New
    Builder

Ok so I got my new box yesterday. All was good. Connected up and everything working as it should. Got it setup to do some machining the next day and now the interface from first turn on is like freezing. Not responding to any touch buttons. I can't do anything. Then out of no where it was just take off and do what ever it feels like.

What could this be now

Attached Files:

#9 Apz, Sep 17, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
  10. Peter Van Der Walt

Any nearby sources of EMI that could interfere with the touch interface? Flourescent lights, VFDs, etc

11. Apz

Apz New
    Builder

I have the all out of the way in the other direction. I think it might be the aux cable as I bend it over near the blackbox connection and I can get it to work sometimes. But then sometimes it still takes off to

12. Peter Van Der Walt

Speak to http://support.openbuilds.com/support/home and they will be happy to assist

Apz likes this.
  13. Apz

Apz New
    Builder

Thank you Peter. Appreciated again