Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

New build problem

Discussion in 'CNC Projects' started by MikeInFlorida, Jul 3, 2022.

Tags:
  1. MikeInFlorida

Builder

I built a CNC machine using HuanYang spindle controller and Vevor 2.2K 220V spindle.
    Running with a MKS DLC32 controller board.

I can jog, load a project into Candle and run it fine...without spindle running.

As soon as I start the spindle the USB connection is lost.

I've tried running computer, controller and motor on separate power outlets. (100A service to garage)

I have a MKS DLC controller that I tried and got the same results.
    Tried various USB ports.

Everything works great until I start the spindle. I can turn on the spindle controller and it's Ok, it's just when I start the spindle.

I'm stumped.

2. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Where do you have the cable between the vfd and the spindle - if it's in the drag chain take it out and keep it as far away from other wiring as possible.
    Alex.

3. MikeInFlorida

Builder

Alex,

Right now I don't have the wire in a drag chain, I have one but haven't installed yet.
    The only other wiring close to it is the y-axis wires, the motor is mounted just under the motor.

I'm only using 3 wires off the spindle to the vfd, I just went and got new wiring to hook up the ground. See if that works.

4. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Absolutely do that - the case of your spindle MUST be connected to mains earth! Also check that pin 4 of the connector on the spindle is physically connected to the spindle case - some aren't!
    Alex.

5. Gary Caruso

Gary Caruso OpenBuilds Volunteer
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Ground for sure and use shielded wire as well (and connect the shield to ground at one end).
    Make sure everything is earth grounded, the cnc chassis, spindle body, star ground everything.
    Curious.. Why did you go with a light duty laser controller with 2kw spindle? like wagon wheels on a hotrod!
    Gary

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.