Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

New Build Input (LATHE)

Discussion in 'CNC Lathes' started by vegagarciaxxx, Jan 25, 2022.

1. vegagarciaxxx

Builder

Greetings everyone,

High School Teacher from Florida here.
    We (my students and I) are not "Pros" but we have built a 1515, 1010, Root 3, RS 32, and a standard MPCNC.
    We want to build a Lathe before the school year ends. (June 2)
    We have plenty of C beam, hardware, electronics and other extrusion leftover from all previous builds.
    I also have a 220v 2.2KW Spindle w. VFD from another job that resulted in overkill! (1.5KW was plenty)
    We would like to carve round/square stock up to 6 in in diameter.

Here are my questions:
    Is 6 in diameter too much?
    If acceptable, would a Nema 23 HT be capable of spinning the stock without burning out or should I go for a Nema 34 for the rotary Axis?
    Recommendations, Tips, Advise, Comments or Jokes highly appreciated?

Thanks in advance!

Respectfully
    Javier
    Manufacturing Teacher
    MSG (Ret) US Army

2. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

I have no issue with Nema23s on my rotary axis CNC, but I do use a 1 to 6 gear ratio. I made this one with almost all "off the shelf"" Openbuilds parts. There are just a couple of angled aluminum plates I cut for the side braces and of course, the rotary axis. You could easily do something similar since you have both a 1010 and a 1515.

Also, as posted here: Adaptor Plates For Non-round Stock For A 3 Jaw Chuck If I were to do it again, I would get a 65mm chuck and save about $100. All I use it for is carving and these plates allow me to carve any shaped materials. As built, mine will carve up to 8 inches in diameter. If I were to cut out the bottom of the cabinet -- which was the original plan -- I could do over 1 inches.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  3. vegagarciaxxx

Builder

Giarc,

Thank you for the quick response.

I told my students to study your design, as well as 3 other within the builds threads. The double gantry drew everyone's attention. Lets see what their final decision is.

I have a "small" piece of C beam (510mm) that I was going to use to build the Z Gantry. Would that be too tall, or should I bring it down to 300mm?

Thanks for the Idea for the expansion plate for the rotary. We were thinking about a similar solution but were wondering if it would hold and work like intended. It looks like it does!

I already ordered the K12-100mm rotary. The 65mm was on back order and delivery stated more than a month from now.

I will post pictures and make a build thread.

Lets get this done!

Respectfully
    Javier
    Manufacturing Teacher
    MSG (Ret) US Army

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  4. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

My z axis is 500 mm. I believe I just ordered a 500mm linear actuator from the OpenBuilds parts store. It helps to line up the x axis because it allows you to reach all the way to the table top. I then engraved a straight line on the table top with a v-bit to line the x axis tail stock fixture.

5. vegagarciaxxx

Builder

Giarc,

Thanks for the advise and the v-line tip.
    Students are exited about the build.
    Photos will be posted in a few days.

Respectfully
    Javier
    Manufacturing Teacher
    MSG(Ret) US Army

Giarc likes this.