Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

New 1515 With Issues

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Robert Jansen, Aug 22, 2022.

1. Robert Jansen

Builder

I have been working on my still unused 1515 for four (4) months, and thought I was in the clear. Everything worked. Was able to Home All, jog X Y and Z incrementally and continuously, made sure that the everything was parallel & square, reconfigured the couplers to ensure they were dead bang on the spindles and the lead screws, made certain the distance from the end of the Y "C" beams to the X axis side plates but now, all of a sudden, Y1 and Y2 are out of sync, and I can't figure out how to get them back in sync. I have a feeling it may be in the voltage from the black box, but I have no way of ensuring that, or how to get it adjusted correctly. The documentation on the black box is rather vague on the subject. Looking for some insight, please.

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

3. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

As @Peter Van Der Walt said it could be an intermittent connection on your stepper motor wiring, but I think a mechanical issue is the most likely. Check that your motor couplers are gripping the leadscrew and the motor shaft securely. Check that your eccentrics are properly adjusted - you should just be able to turn a wheel with your finger with the steppers powered on. Check that you haven't overtightened the nut blocks to the gantry plates.
    To re-align the two Y axes turn off the power, disconnect the motors from the controller and turn the leadscrew by hand until the gantry plates are equidistant from the end frame - also check that your frame is square in the X/Y plane particularly.
    Alex.

4. Robert Jansen

Builder

Hello - Thank you gentlemen. Turns out that after checking everything mechanical, I pulled the Y1 connector out of the black box and saw a flash. Re-inserted Mr. Blue and tightened the rest, and Bob's your uncle! The only thing I can see, (actually hear) now, and everything is square, and parallel at all points is that it sounds like it's laboring from half-way going front to back and vice versa. It doesn't stop, more like groans. I'll work on that one. Thanks for all your assistance. Hope the rest of your day is deluxe.

Alex Chambers likes this.
  5. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

First try some dry PTFE or Silicone spray lubricant on the leadscrews.
    Alex.

6. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Please ALWAYS turn off power before working on wiring. See the exceptions under OpenBuilds Warranty - working on live wiring will count as improper. You are lucky the BlackBox survived that! When you disconnect a powered up motor, the collapsing magnetic field creates a massive EMF spike!

Alex Chambers likes this.
  7. Robert Jansen

Builder

Good to know, thank you.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.