Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Nema 17s getting pretty warm. Any options to cool them?

Discussion in 'Motors' started by AXIS89, May 11, 2020.

1. AXIS89

AXIS89 New
    Builder

I just got my X and Y axes moving and I noticed the motors were getting fairly warm after 5-10 minutes of being powered on. I don't think its hot enough to be a big problem (not sure how it will be during continuous operation) but I'm a little concerned as I have some 3D printer PLA brackets very close to the motors. Are there any good options to reduce the heat? Does anyone bother running cooling fans?

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Warm is normal and expected. Hot is bad though - so kinda hard to scale into words. But if they are getting too warm, turn the current down (heatsinks, fans etc are not the right solution, the windings inside will still get damaged long before you cooled down the case outside). May want to reprint those PLA parts with PETG or ABS - motors do run warm and PLA is very sensitive, too sensitive to use near motors

3. AXIS89

AXIS89 New
    Builder

I'll definitely consider reprinting as soon as I get some time. I have some PETG that I havent played around with in quite some time.

I doubt they are getting too hot to be a real problem but is there an easy way I can measure the current output so I can properly adjust it? And what should I try setting it to? I believe the Nema 17s I have are rated for 1.5 amps. Should I try and set the current to exactly that or some value below it? I recall adjusting it on one of my 3d printers and there were specific pins I had to probe while powered on I believe.

4. Peter Van Der Walt

What controller/drivers do you have?

5. Peter Van Der Walt

Oh, and regarding this section:

Precise setting is kinda pointless, tensioning a belt just a little different, affects that. No two machines are the same.
    The right current setting is
    - High enough that it doesnt stall under normal conditions (with a little extra margin)
    - but Low enough that the drivers doesnt overheat (usually driver overheat, cuts out, skips steps, will hit you before motor becomes an issue)