Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Need new Grbl host software that does autolevelling for Blackbox/GRBL

Discussion in 'CAM' started by Adrianjudy, May 23, 2020.

1. Adrianjudy

Builder

I have a DIY C-beam machine running on a blackbox controller with a Chinese spindle and VFD and have outgrown the openbuilds control software. The projects that I am running now are on "natural" wood surfaces which are uneven, so I end up with bad v bit cuts on the uneven surfaces. I have been trying to use bCNC 's autolevelling function, but I am finding bCNC to be unreliable because it crashes constantly, hangs up on large file sizes and gouges the workpiece too often. Is there a reliable, affordable CAM program that can do autolevelling? I am playing with ESTLCam to see if that will meet my needs, but I am having trouble getting it dialed in, the longer it runs, the further off the it gets from where it is supposed to be. Any help on selecting a new CAM software or help getting estlcam working properly would be appreciated.

2. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

3. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team

As you say you don't like bCNC, the only other one I know of would be martin2250/OpenCNCPilot but have not played with it in a while

Did you ask the EstlCAM developers about your issue yet (first double check you don't loose position without EstlCAM, ruling our current settings, mechanical issues, etc)

4. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team

oops, missed that you don't have joy with bCNC. however I must ask which fork or version you have installed, and on which OS?
    I have been running it for years and it has never crashed, never gouged.

5. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor Master
    Builder

Yeah zero issues with bCNC here. It's an excellent package.

6. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team

Sounds like you have another issue otherwise too - skipping steps. or EMI causing it to loose position

Well, definately EMI if it is loosing position then, no switch of software will cure that :)

7. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

I have been using Estlcam for years and have never had an issue with it loosing position. Is there any chance you have grub screws loose on couplers or other potential mechanical issues?