Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Need help with the Blackbox Limit Switches.

Discussion in 'Controller Boards' started by thatguypeter, Mar 17, 2019.

1. thatguypeter

thatguypeter Journeyman
    Builder

I got all the axises running right, so I try to install the limit switches on the X,Y, and Z. The Z work when I push the "Home All" it will stop when the switch is hit. The it will pop up an alert with "Homing Fail cycle..." and make a clicking sound on the motors for the x and y.

$5 = 1
    and the limit invert is set to option 3
    soft and hard limit = disable

Peter

Attached Files:

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Resident Builder Project Maker Builder

Checkout OpenBuilds CONTROL from software.openbuilds.com > use the troubleshooting tab to check that limit switch hits are properly registering. (That will ensure you have $5 set correctly)

The error message comes from grbl: See gnea/grbl for details. Sadly you truncated the message
    so we don't see the important part. "Homing fail: <one of 4 different reasons here> ... is printed in the message. Knowing which one I could've given advice. If wiring and $5 is correct, then most likely you dont have enough pull-off ($27 gnea/grbl) to clear the switch after homing.

Check what the error message actually says (and in future, try grabbing a screenshot to post, just helps us to help you better too) if you dont come right - we'll be able to check from there

3. thatguypeter

thatguypeter Journeyman
    Builder

Hi,

So I switched the limit to be set as "Off" and to "On" when its triggers. Here are the screen shot. It give the same failure message with the pins switched too.

Peter

Attached Files:

4. sharmstr

sharmstr Master
    Moderator Builder

I had the same problem. 1mm is not enough of a pull off distance to "unclick" the switch. Change it to a higher value. Like 3mm or even 5mm.

5. thatguypeter

thatguypeter Journeyman
    Builder

I did and it still did not work..I even went up to 10MM..and still same result....What was your other setting for the limit switches?

Peter

Attached Files:

6. sharmstr

sharmstr Master
    Moderator Builder

I have my switches wired to normally open so my invert limit pin setting is disabled.

In your images, you still have pull off set to 1mm. Not sure if you changed it back to that after trying 10mm.

7. thatguypeter

thatguypeter Journeyman
    Builder

Hey, I changed it back to 1MM to see if it was something else I can trouble shoot. I am new to GRBL and its a learning curves for me right now.

8. sharmstr

sharmstr Master
    Moderator Builder

I hear ya. It takes some time. Anyhow, in your first post, you have your switches wired to Normally Open, so change your "invert limit pin" to disabled.

9. thatguypeter

thatguypeter Journeyman
    Builder

I updated more screen shots..hopefully you can help me get this working! thanks Peter

10. Peter Van Der Walt

The error message says its Homing Pull off..

So check what it does when it homes. Should hit Z switch, then X and Y. Once all three is hit, it should reverse out of the switches till they all clear. Watch the machine check which switch isnt released. Or after the alarm, check troubleshooting tab, is any switch still active?

When it reverses does it move the specified mm's? If not set your steps per mm. You might have 10mm pull off, but with wrong steps its only moving 1mm? As an example.

11. thatguypeter

thatguypeter Journeyman
    Builder

I got the limit switches working.. Had to recalculated all the stepper motor movements.. They were all off. Once it was setup right, the pull off work correctlY.
    Peter

Peter Van Der Walt and sharmstr like this.
  12. Peter Van Der Walt

Yay!