Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Need help with new Open Build BlackBox

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by thatguypeter, Mar 5, 2019.

1. thatguypeter

thatguypeter Well-Known
    Builder

I can't get my NEMA 23 to work with this control unit. It's hooked up to the Open Build Control Software. When I try to moved the motor in the software and it doesn't move or do anything. I follow the diagram on the box for setting up the motors for all the axis and nothing.. I try adjusting the current and nothing.. Is there something else I need to set for the motors to work?

2. Timothy Pinto

Timothy Pinto Well-Known
    Builder

So I'm having same issue. I'm moving from a TinyG controller to the BlackBox. On TinyG motor leads were A1 A2 B1 B2. I landed those as A+ A- B+ B-. Motors "twitch" when I tried to jog an axis. I wasn't sure how to adjust current, watched a video on checking voltage across pot wiper. Powered up TinyG to see what the voltages were there. They were a nominal 1.10 v. Went back to BlackBox and set min/max on pots and saw range of nominal 0.95v-3.5v. Set the 4 motors to about 1.10 v. Motors will twitch when I try to jog them. Working on X axis, I loosened coupler and tried getting any motion along the full range of the pot. Still no motion.

I've included the grbl settings that I changed to match what I had on the Tinyg, along with a screen shot of the Control troubleshooting screen.

I would also send the grbl settings, if I knew how to upload & save them, but I currently don't know how to do this.

Attached Files:

3. thatguypeter

thatguypeter Well-Known
    Builder

Hey Thanks,

I will try your setting and see what happen. I had the same setting as your board with my RAMBO 1.4...A+,A-,B+,B- and it work perfectly. Switched to this controller and nothing..How did you change the current setting..was that with the switch on the side of the box or in the software menu?

Thanks again,

Peter

4. Gary Caruso

Gary Caruso OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Peter, I already replied with the following in the thread you started in the control boards area..

Hi Peter, Are you able to set and see the GRBL settings? post the $$ settings here if you can. motor coils are paired correctly?
    Did You installed the drivers?

Tim, I think twitching motors points to the coils not being matched up, check that the coils are paired with a multi-meter in resistance, or holding the wires together (two at a time) and the motor will become very hard to turn when the coiled pairs are tied together. Or the white wire does not look landed in the connector well.
    Cheers
    Gary

5. Gary Caruso

The current is adjusted with the small trim pots on the side of the Blackbox
    Gary

6. thatguypeter

thatguypeter Well-Known
    Builder

7. Gary Caruso

Hi Peter, Do the motors lock with power on? are you getting the board connection in windows?
    Did you set any GRBL settings yet, I'm not sure how they are as default. Do you have any limits or stops installed?
    Cheers
    Gary

8. thatguypeter

thatguypeter Well-Known
    Builder

I got the same twitching on my motors too...here are the screen shot of GRBL setting..I only got the motors hooked up..just wanted to see if the box was really plug and play or not...

Attached Files:

9. Gary Caruso

Ok, if you are absolutely sure the coils are matched up try increasing the current.
    Gary

10. thatguypeter

thatguypeter Well-Known
    Builder

I did that ....it didn't do anything..nothing..even all the way to the max....I put the motor back into my RAMBO 1.4 board and its turn just fine..no problem..same setup on the coil wiring...I just hope i didn't jump the gun and bought this controller early..this controller would be really cool if I can get it to work!

11. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team

You have connected a 12 or 24v power supply and turned on the blackbox?
    Note that the USB cable will supply power to the 'brains' but will not power the motors, the switch has to be on for that.

I do suggest a thorough reading of the docs, knowledge is power (-:
    OpenBuilds BlackBox 4X Documentation

12. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Resident Builder Project Maker Builder

Make sure $4=1 in your Grbl Settings too
    See gnea/grbl

The drivers on the BlackBox uses an inverted enable signal (Same as the XPRO)

If you load one of our predefined grbl profiles from the Grbl Settings tab in OpenBuildsCONTROL it would also set $4=1

Or scroll down to $4 and set it to Enabled

13. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team

now that i did not see in the docs!

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  14. Peter Van Der Walt

Noted :) - Will add to both FAQ
    Perhaps a tweaked version of grbl preflashed without the option to change it (; - with the Xpro as well thats always coming up

15. Timothy Pinto

Timothy Pinto Well-Known
    Builder

I thought I had used the LEAD as a starting machine setup type. Regardless, I found $4=0. I set it $4=1 and the sweet sound of motion. My Z axis is growly, but I suspect that's a current issue. Thanks for the help & support.

GrayUK and sharmstr like this.
  16. thatguypeter

thatguypeter Well-Known
    Builder

OMG it worked!!!! It's alive and moving...LOL..$4=1 (enable) fixed the issue! Thanks everyone for the help!! I am new at GRBL..This should be the first thing stated on the motor setup...its only show the diagram of the wiring..

17. Timothy Pinto

Timothy Pinto Well-Known
    Builder

I had a small issue with my Z axis motor. I could get it to move, but it was rough, and depending on current level would change directions mid move. So I thought with not much to lose, I swapped A pair wires. It quit growling and moved smoothly at a lower current. I then swapped B pair wires to correct the direction issue. This is not the way it was wired on the Tinyg controller where it worked fine. I'll considered it fixed and not try to understand why it had to be changed while the x & y axis worked as wired on both Tinyg & now BlackBox controller.

18. Peter Van Der Walt

Ma
    Not sure either, but i wouldnt personally expect it to be drop-in. Different firmware, different hardware, different config. Could be any of those.

19. Peter Van Der Walt

Its really more about the machine profile step.

Agreed though, will add it later. And it should actually default, not like anyone would need $4=0 as we dont even support external drivers (;

All good, its feedback on the unforseen that fixes the future. Thanks for your patience

thatguypeter likes this.
  20. Timothy Pinto

Timothy Pinto Well-Known
    Builder

One last setting I needed was $1=255 to keep steppers powered up. The Z axis kept drifting down until I changed $1.

Gary Caruso likes this.
  21. Peter Van Der Walt

Custom machine? Or one of the OB bundles?

If its one of ours, use one of the proven profiles. They have $1, $4, sizes, speeds, homing, etc all tuned to proper realworld testing :)

If not, still good to base off the most similar ones

22. Timothy Pinto

Timothy Pinto Well-Known
    Builder

It is a SMW3D r7 machine. The Tinyg/Chilipeppr interface started being too finicky to get jobs started. It worked pretty good for almost 2 years, but I needed something more reliable. The R7 was supplied with mostly OpenBuilds parts, so I figured I try the BlackBox controller. Unfortunately SMW3D & Hobby-Fab are now both offline, so I needed some future proofing.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  23. Peter Van Der Walt

Ahh OK - no problem :)

Will get it fixed for future customers too (;