Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Need help with NEMA 23 not working with BB X32

Discussion in 'Motors' started by Delta Mike, Mar 7, 2023.

1. Delta Mike

Builder

Hello.
    I have just finished my Lead1515.
    I'm using these motors: https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B091C37FJ2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    See below the datasheet of the motors.
    I have installed the BB X32 and connected all the motors and switches. I'm pretty sure the wiring is correct.
    The "LEAD 1515" settings have been flashed in the firmware. Connection with the laptop looks in working order.
    When I power the BB on, the motors get powered (axis get firm and I can't move them, as expected).
    When powered, the motors make a light noise, as it was a vibration.

However when I command the motors to move (by the Control app), they don't move. None of them. They make a sort of snap (or clack) noise, with a micro torsion/return but they don't rotate at all.
    The vibration noise I mentioned above gets silenced with the snap/clack, and starts again soon after.
    Also, if I click the homing button, motors don't move and I receive the error message (see image below).
    I attach another image showing the limit switches' status as they appear in the app - I suppose this is a problem: if I press on the switch, the status turns on green (I would expect the opposite).
    Have tried tuning the motors' "current tuners" on the BB, with no result. I haven't tried to change any setting parameter, hence any of them is in the default set (as for the LEAD1515 preset).

Anyone can suggest anything for me to try? Thanks a lot.

20230305_202100.jpg 20230305_202050.jpg 20230305_133650.jpg 20230305_131207.jpg

#1 Delta Mike, Mar 7, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2023
  2. Gary Caruso

Gary Caruso OpenBuilds Volunteer
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

3. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Motors and limits both indicate non-standard Grbl settings.

1) make sure you have latest CONTROL from software.openbuilds.com
    2) connect and go to Grbl Settings tab > Select a machine from the list. Save and Reset
    3) don't change advanced setting like $4, $5 etc

4. Delta Mike

Builder

Thank you Gary, I appreciate your reply indeed.
    Yes, coils had been checked by a meter before the first BB power-on and they are wired correctly.

It might be something more subtle, maybe linked to he limit switches' issue.
    Will investigate more and test furter.
    Any additional idea will be of help.

5. Peter Van Der Walt

Did you remember to install a machine profile? (CONTROL > Grbl Settings tab > Select a machine from the list > Save and Reset
    If not, key values like $4=0 and $1=255 would not yet be set for you. Please make use of the Profiles to set these values - easier than doing them all by hand
    Your all-triggered limits is clue that you don't have the profile or $5=0 would have been set

6. Delta Mike

Builder

Thanks for your reply Peter.
    I have selected the LEAD1515 settings and saved/reset more than once.
    The motors are the only non openbuilds sourced components I used. They are however NEMA 23 high torque motors, guess very standard ones. Do you think I need custom settings? Is there any Control setting documentation available (I haven't found)?
    I'm suspicious of the limits behaviour, in fact.
    Will continue debugging during the weekend.

7. Peter Van Der Walt

8. Peter Van Der Walt

9. Peter Van Der Walt

X32 should have $5=0 for Normally Open switches (like our Xtension Limits) or $5=7 for NC switches

10. Delta Mike

Builder

Thank you Peter.
    After a full day of double checks on wiring, parameters and installing the lead 1515 settings (no result), I just unistalled the OB control software, cleansed the windows registry, downloaded it again, reinstalled, run, connected to the BB, selected and installed the 1515 settings. And it just worked!
    Have checked the parameters and they are exactly the same as before. Can't say what has changed.
    Problem disappeared, machine working properly, homing works well. I just regret not knowing what was wrong earlier.

I appreciated your hints and prompt support. Looking fwd to installing the spindle and commence some project.