Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Need help with my tramming adjustment.

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Ethan Maloy, Mar 7, 2024.

1. Ethan Maloy

Builder

Good morning,

I am trying to adjust the tramming of my LEAD 1515 but have found no answers other than "adjust" without any details on where to measure square off of, or what parts of the machine I should adjust and what parts I should not.

My plan is to loosen the vertical supports for the X-axis rail and use playing cards or some blank metal cards to tilt the supprorts forward until the router is square to the spoilboard.

I flattened the spoilboard previously with the way the router sits currently, so in theory the board should be level, just not flat. Is this ok or should I reference something else?

Attached Files:

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Checkout Tramming: A generic guideline

Yours looks like maybe either the X-rail is rolled (hard to get wrong on a LEAD as the top L-Brackets help lock in that alignment, but you can get the bottom rail to be off of its not square to the uprights when installing the Cast Corners). Or the Uprights aren't perpendicular to the XY plane, leaning back a bit

3. Ethan Maloy

Builder

Thanks for sending the tramming guide. Do you have any recomendations for how I should be measuring squareness?

I believe my Z uprights are not perpendicular to the XY plane, but I do not know what to reference off of to confirm this. If the Z up-rights are confirmed to not be perpendicular, do you have any recomendations on how to adjust these into position? I have tried shims but that only seamed to lift the uprights, not tilt them forward. and pulling/pushing does not seem like a correct or accurate method of squaring the machine.

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

If you follow Tramming: A generic guideline in Step (2) you check that that XY plane is flat. The uprights should be square per (3) to this XY plane. The Top of the Y axis actuators should be fine to check with a square, referencing the uprights to the rail should be perfect 90deg

Don't shim. Most of the build self-references, but some do have a little free play to help with final adjustments. Push pull might fail if you don't loosen all fasteners (like slightly loosening the cast corners, but forgetting about the Tee nuts locking rail to plate from the back). Of course push/pull here does not imply force, just loosening fasteners, doing a good job of positioning parts squarely to each other. Retighten.

5. Ethan Maloy

Builder

Thank you for your help, I finally found the screw that was preventing me from adjusting the machine into square.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.