Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Need Help To Design Custom Solar Mount For Flat Roof

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by JKTCH, Mar 19, 2019.

1. JKTCH

JKTCH New
    Builder

Hi,

I need help to design a custom solar mount for a solar roof. I'm told it's doable. But I'm a software guy (and electrical), but mechanical is not my strong point.

Its going to have to have a moving arm that I can use to extend one panel off the roof when it's not windy. If you are mechanically minded and have knowledge of V channel, I would love to talk. I'm currently in NC/GA area.

2. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Can you offer a general sketch of what you have in mind including rough dimensions.

3. JKTCH

JKTCH New
    Builder

Yes.

The panels are stacked one on top of the other. The lower panel needs to slide in and out. The dim of the panel is attached. It weighs 50lbs.

Because the panel will be extended away from the flat roof, there will need to be a rigid frame around it. The foot-print on which the assembly with housing is also limited. 43.5"w x 64.6"L x 9" tall.

The lower it is the better. But clearance is required to permit cooling, wire, and also there are other requirements which better discussed off line.

Here is the minimum height: 1.5" - 2.0" space between roof and lower slide-out panel, 2" - 2.5" space between lower slide-out panel and upper panel (does not slide). Each panel is 1.38" thick so bare min: 2.00" + 1.38"+2.00"+1.38" = 6.8", which means 7" total. But of course there may be need for tolerances as well as space needed to accommodate mechanism for the sliding lower panel.

I do have a drawing. But EVERYONE who has seen it is confused by it. So better to share requirements than drawing.

Thank you.
    Where are you located?

Attached Files:

#3 JKTCH, Mar 19, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
  4. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team

Sounds like what you're seeking is the functional equivalent of full extension drawer slides. Mechanically not difficult but providing proper weather resistance may be a bit of an issue.

As far as where I am, I'm in Oklahoma.

5. JKTCH

JKTCH New
    Builder

Yes. That's it. Why would weather resistance be a problem? I thought extruded aluminum comes in weather resistance coat?

6. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team

Yes, the anodized aluminum will be fine. It's the wheel bearings or polymer glides which may have an issue with weather/heat/sunlight. This is resolvable, just something that needs looked into.