Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Need GRBL code modification

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by The_UnderTaker, Nov 14, 2019.

1. The_UnderTaker

Builder

hi all..

my English language is not good so please excuse me.

I need to hire an arduino code writer to make some modifications to GRBL open source code to read mach3 or mach4 or any else gcode format supported by artcam 2017.

because I failed to find any way to use artcam output gcode to use it with my GRBL cnc arduino mega machine.

in other words GRBL gcode format not supported by artcam 2017 so I need to solve that problem because I am very good designer in artcam so I need to solve this problem .

some body told me to post a thread here in this forum asking for some one who can modify GRBL code to understand gcode files generated by artcam..

thanks and regards to all of you guys

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Grbl doesnt have enough space left to add the full Mach gcode set. Therefore it uses the smaller subset of gcode (see github.com/gnea/grbl/wiki)

The only way you can use ArtCAM is to find a Grbl Post Processor for it, or use a different one and modify gcode by hand afterwards

3. The_UnderTaker

Builder

thanks for your fast replay..

I did not find any post processor file for artcam 2017 and even contacted autodesk for help with no replay.

so can you please tell me where to find a programmer that can make the post processor file for artcam for me.

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team

Try the Autodesk Forums with a search first, bet you are not the first person looking for one.

5. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Journeyman
    Builder

It looks like ArtCAM is discontinued.

6. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team

Here are several options:

you could find a programmer on a platform like Upwork.com that will write a program for you. the program would read the file produced by Artcam and output a GRBL compatible file. You would need to supply a gcode file with an example of all possible problems and a matching gcode file (the same cut result) but with all problems fixed.

Here Where do I find the list of Autodesk ArtCAM supported Post Processors? | ArtCAM | Autodesk Knowledge Network is a list of postprocessors , one of those controllers may well be GRBL based and that will do what you want, you just need to google each one of the controllers and check to see if it is GRBL based.

read this Solved: Looking for Post Processor in ArtCAM to generate gcode for ShapeOko 3 CNC Machin - Autodesk Community
    where it mentions using the Mach3 post and reading it with UGS. since UGS can filter Gcodes I assume he has set some filters. IIRC UGS can also convert some of the more advanced codes like G81 drill codes to GRBL compatible codes.
    You don't say what errors you are getting, that would help us help you more. However, do be careful with UGS's filter options, you dont want to be filtering codes that you actually need (-:

one of these https://wiki.shapeoko.com/index.php/G-Code_Utilities may do what you need.