Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Need Advice - Building Copy Stand for Camera

Discussion in 'Concepts and Ideas' started by Lily-zaltana, Mar 28, 2022.

1. Lily-zaltana

Builder

Not sure if this is the best place to post this but could use some help.

I'm building a copy stand for my camera to digitize old photos. Wanted to drive the camera up and down vertically with a stepper motor. The column will be about 6' tall. My gantry weights about 17 pounds with the camera. I have a few more little things to build that will add a little weight, so I'm going to over assume 20 pounds for calculation, just to be safe.

Trying to figure out if Open Builds NEMA 23 Stepper Motor with a Torque of 175 oz-in will be sufficient for that load, or if I'm going to need the high torque motor. Trying to do this as inexpensive as possible, so if I can avoid the high torque motor that would help!

Tried to research to figure out how to calculate and found this formula, but not sure if correct. Sorry, I'm not familiar with any of this type of stuff. I'm using 5/8-8 ACME Rod.

Effort = Sf + (Load/(2 x pi x (R/p) x Se))

where:
    p = pitch of the screw
    Se = screw efficiency = Standard lead screw will be between 20% (.2) and 40% (.4)
    Sf = static force. This is the force that is needed to start the movement. The number may be eliminated, but it is good to use a number in the 5 N to 20 N range.
    Load = the expected load that the effort will need to carry (i.e., the router and the included axis assembly that the motor will need to lift)
    R = radius of the lead screw
    --

My values:
    Load = 88.96 N (20 lbs)
    R = .3125 inch
    p = 1 inch / 8 = .125 inches

Effort = 5 N + (88.96N / (2 x 3.14 x (.3125/ .125) x .2))
    Effort = 5 N + (88.96N / (6.28 x 2.5 x .2))
    Effort = 5 N + (88.96 N / (3.14))
    Effort = 5 N + (28.33 N)
    Effort =33.33 N = 119.89 oz-in

Based on this calculation, if I didn't make any mistakes and if this formula is correct, the 175oz-in torque motor should work.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

#1 Lily-zaltana, Mar 28, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2022
    Cam Garrett likes this.
  2. Lily-zaltana

Builder

I'm building a copy stand for my camera to digitize old photos. Wanted to drive the camera up and down vertically with a stepper motor. The column will be about 6' tall. My gantry weights about 17 pounds with the camera. I have a few more little things to build that will add a little weight, so I'm going to over assume 20 pounds for calculation, just to be safe.

Trying to figure out if Open Builds NEMA 23 Stepper Motor with a Torque of 175 oz-in will be sufficient for that load, or if I'm going to need the high torque motor. Trying to do this as inexpensive as possible, so if I can avoid the high torque motor that would help!

Tried to research to figure out how to calculate and found this formula, but not sure if correct. Sorry, I'm not familiar with any of this type of stuff. I'm using 5/8-8 ACME Rod.

Effort = Sf + (Load/(2 x pi x (R/p) x Se))

where:
    p = pitch of the screw
    Se = screw efficiency = Standard lead screw will be between 20% (.2) and 40% (.4)
    Sf = static force. This is the force that is needed to start the movement. The number may be eliminated, but it is good to use a number in the 5 N to 20 N range.
    Load = the expected load that the effort will need to carry (i.e., the router and the included axis assembly that the motor will need to lift)
    R = radius of the lead screw
    --

My values:
    Load = 88.96 N (20 lbs)
    R = .3125 inch
    p = 1 inch / 8 = .125 inches

Effort = 5 N + (88.96N / (2 x 3.14 x (.3125/ .125) x .2))
    Effort = 5 N + (88.96N / (6.28 x 2.5 x .2))
    Effort = 5 N + (88.96 N / (3.14))
    Effort = 5 N + (28.33 N)
    Effort =33.33 N = 119.89 oz-in

Based on this calculation, if I didn't make any mistakes and if this formula is correct, the 175oz-in torque motor should work.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Cam Garrett likes this.